Sunday house fire leaves home nonlivable
A Sunday afternoon house fire in a relatively new subdivision off Hoo Shoo Too Road forced two adults and three children to relocate indefinitely.
Firefighters arrived to the burning home in the 20000 block of Leandor Isle Avenue shortly before 5 p.m. Sunday after a neighbor reported the blaze, said Chad Roberson, assistant chief of the St. George Fire Department.
Flames shot through the roof in at least one spot, and the fire heavily damaged the front half of the house, making it “non-livable,” Roberson said.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to deem the fire under control, he said.
The American Red Cross responded to provide assistance to the home’s five residents, who weren’t home at the time of the fire, Roberson said.
No one was injured.
Power cord leads to fire in lumber warehouse
An overloaded power cord sent sparks flying in a lumber company warehouse early Sunday, but firefighters doused the flames before the whole warehouse caught fire.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department arrived at Schroeder Lumber Co., 11557 Darryl Drive, at 7:05 a.m. and found heavy smoke pouring from the building, department spokesman Curt Monte said.
Several pieces of equipment and stacks of lumber were ablaze, he said.
Firefighters extinguished the fire at 7:12 a.m., keeping it from spreading to the rest of the warehouse, Monte said.
No one was in the building at the time of the fire.
The business owners said they would be open Sunday, Monte said.
EBR authorities book nine suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a man in a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Larry Woodard, 26, 6077 La. 544, Arcadia, fourth-offense DWI.
- Michael Bergeron, 19, 6344 Peggy St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and headlights required.
- Kentrell Eli, 25, 1354 N. 35th St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, open-container violation, reckless operation, hit-and-run and driver’s license not in possession.
- Kartreina Jackson, 32, 910 S. 18th St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, headlights required and driver’s license not in possession.
- Sean Millan, 28, 13675 Coursey Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to signal while turning and reckless operation.
- Christopher Morris, 29, 269 W. Bay Road, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, first-offense DWI, making an improper turn, improper lane usage, reckless operation and driver’s license not in possession.
- Michael Perry, 38, 10175 High Pines Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer, possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle, flight from an officer, reckless operation and aggravated obstruction of a public highway.
- Calvin Varise, 48, 5111 Jean St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, possession of marijuana, hit-and-run, resisting an officer, simple battery and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Perry Whybrew, 52, 11441 Cotton Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.