BR man booked in domestic disturbance
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies responding to a disturbance call on Old Hammond Highway Friday encountered a man who told them his wife had just tried to cut her own throat with a kitchen knife.
But deputies got a much different story when they found the woman next door. She told police her husband, Edwin Hebert, 29, grabbed a knife when she tried to walk away during an argument, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
He pushed her down, then said, “I’m going to do to you like what you did to me” and cut her on her throat, the affidavit says. The victim said she recently had Hebert hospitalized for trying to hurt himself “so she felt as if he were trying to do the same to her by claiming that she attempted to harm herself,” the affidavit says.
When questioned again, Hebert stuck to his story that she cut herself, the affidavit says. Hebert, 16352 Old Hammond Highway, Lot 39, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of aggravated battery and domestic abuse battery.
Police investigate EBR shooting
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies are still investigating the events that led to two men being shot Friday night in a neighborhood just east of the Baton Rouge Metro Airport.
The two men, who on Saturday were hospitalized, are expected to recover from their injuries, said Casey Rayborn Hicks, a Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.
The shooting happened shortly after 9 p.m. Friday in the 8000 block of South Laredo Avenue off Hooper Road. Initially, deputies could not provide a description of one man’s injury, but Hicks said Saturday both men suffered gunshot wounds.
Seven booked on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least seven people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Delano Alexander, 27, 150 E. 26th St., Reserve, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and failure to maintain control of a vehicle.
- Christopher Delhall, 31, 11585 N. Harrells Ferry Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, simple obstruction of a highway, reckless operation, drinking in a motor vehicle and possession of marijuana.
- Patrick Givens, 48, 5949 Heidel St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control of a vehicle, driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license and reckless operation.
- Chandi Green, 21, 12074 New Castle Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, a stop sign/yield sign violation and reckless operation.
- Jessica Kiper, 34, 10165 N. Elliot Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and failure to maintain control of a vehicle.
- Blaze Landry, 20, 37545 Trails End Drive, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, driving without a driver’s license, reckless operation, possession of drug paraphernalia and drinking in a motor vehicle.
- Gregory Robertson, 48, 16715 Charlton Road, Baker, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.