BR concert promoters accused of illegal liquor sales

Alcohol served without license

The owners of The Compound, a Baton Rouge nightclub, have been arrested on accusations they held a concert Christmas night that served alcohol without a state permit.

Adrian C. Hammond, 33, 8054 Essen Cove Drive, and Roman Bates IV, 27, 2326 Ladrewood, were booked Friday on one count each of operating without a permit, according to Parish Prison records. Both have since been released from custody.

The arrests stemmed from an investigation by the state Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control, which had been monitoring the club since its grand opening in late November.

Agent Corey Alfred had been alerted by Baton Rouge police that the business, at 8419 Florida Blvd., had opened without acquiring the proper permit, court records show.

Alfred checked a state database and found an application and supporting documents for a permit that Hammond submitted Nov. 27, though the permit apparently was not granted.

Alfred interviewed Hammond and Bates on Dec. 10 and instructed them that the club could not operate without a valid state alcohol permit, according to an arrest affidavit.

“Hammond and Bates indicated that they understood and would cease operation immediately,” Alfred wrote in the affidavit.

Alfred later learned from the property owner and a security coordinator that the club had hosted a concert Dec. 25 with alcoholic beverages, which he corroborated through social media accounts. “Webbie,” a well-known rapper from Louisiana, had promoted the concert on his Twitter account, posting an advertisement that mentioned “VIP/Bottle Service.”

The arrests are not the first time Hammond and Bates have landed in jail. In September 2011, both were arrested after a chaotic incident in downtown Baton Rouge in which they were thrown out of a bar.

Hammond was accused of opening fire with a handgun several times in the middle of Main Street and later pleaded guilty to illegal carrying of weapons, resisting an officer and aggravated assault.

Bates pleaded guilty to illegal carrying of weapons and aggravated assault, according to court records.