Fire destroys house on Edgehaven Drive
A couple escaped unharmed Sunday morning after a fire that started on the back patio spread throughout their home.
Firefighters from the St. George and Baton Rouge fire departments arrived at 311 Edgehaven Drive at 9:07 a.m., but were unable to get inside the home because of the intensity of the fire and had to fight the fire from outside the house, Eldon Ledoux, St. George spokesman, said.
Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to adjacent homes, but the home where it originated is considered a loss after the roof collapsed, Ledoux said.
The fire was under control by 10:04 a.m., Ledoux said.
Investigators said they think the fire may be accidental, but the investigation is ongoing and the cause is undetermined, Ledoux said.
No one was injured.
Man accused of threatening deputies
Deputies with the U.S. Marshals Service apprehended a man Saturday who was seen placing a duffle bag in the bushes outside the Russell B. Long Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, then threatened to kill the deputy marshal if he followed him.
Michael Langston, 34, 33539 La. 16, Amite, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of threatening a public official, littering, battery of an officer and resisting an officer, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
When the deputy marshal approached Langston, he threw the bag at the deputy marshal and said, “I’ll kill you by the time we get to that corner,” the affidavit said.
Baton Rouge police and other deputy marshals arrived to help subdue the man, the affidavit said.
U.S. Marshal Kevin Harrison said Sunday there was nothing dangerous in the bag.
Authorities arrest 20 suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 20 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a Baton Rouge man on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Lawrence Jackson, 29, 10060 Avenue D, Baton Rouge, fourth-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle, reckless operation and driver’s license required.
- Claude Aron, 31, 1128 America St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, simple criminal damage to property and reckless operation.
- Frances Banks, 49, 1084 Monet Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Patrick Booker, 42, 3078 Dayton St., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI.
- Jarrell Brandon, 31, 1555 Utah St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Theoplis Cage, 59, 16702 Patton Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and seat-belt violation.
- Christopher Choate, 32, 10417 Shoecreek Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Ardyce Dupuy, 21, 6001 Horner Road, Port Allen, first-offense DWI, speeding and failure to maintain control.
- Jered Fontenot, 29, 14086 Airline Highway, Gonzales, first-offense DWI and headlights required.
- Thomas Henson, 27, 39086 Prairie South Drive, Gonzales, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Chancelor Jones, 37, 1222 Terrance St., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, possession of marijuana, license plate switched, possession of alcohol beverage in vehicle, driver’s license suspended/revoked, reckless operation, possession of Schedule II drugs and insurance required.
- Linda Jones, 57, 2351 Shada Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Joseph Joseph, 63, 10530 Florida Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Gerald Melton, 27, 6633 Laca St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked, seat belt violation and reckless operation.
- Christopher Moffett, 49, 12812 Magnolia Chase, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Dalton Petite, 20, 38085 La. 21, Gonzales, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run and reckless operation.
- Maranda Picot, 32, 4075 Noah St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Kiera Sheppard, 24, 747 Monet Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and driver’s license required/expired.
- David Tate, 30, 22790 Jade Drive, Plaquemine, first-offense DWI and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Javier Vargas, 35, 15864 Geraldine Drive, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required/expired, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.