LAFAYETTE — A LaPlace woman was sentenced to five years in federal prison Thursday for conspiracy to fill prescriptions in Lafayette without doctors’ consent, officials said.
Gloria Adams, 63, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Elizabeth Foote.
Adams opened Essential Medical Center in November 2005. She later admitted to conspiring to distribute Xanax and Lortab without doctors present at the center.
U.S. Attorney Stephanie Finley said Adams also admitted to laundering $16,000 in illegal drug proceeds through a financial institution.
Off-duty police officer caught with marijuana
GUeYDAN — State Police on arrested an off-duty Gueydan police officer Thursday on counts of possession and attempting to distribute marijuana and hydrocodone pills.
A trooper patrolling Vermilion Parish stopped a 1994 Chevrolet Blazer at 11:40 a.m. on Third Street in Kaplan, Trooper First-Class Stephen Hammons said in a release.
The driver of the Blazer, Kenneth Martin, 24, of Abbeville, was arrested after the trooper allegedly found marijuana, hydrocodone, an open bottle of liquor and an semi-automatic handgun, Hammons said.
Martin, a Gueydan police officer, was booked on counts of vehicle equipment violation, possession with the intent to distribute marijuana, possession with the intent to distribute a Schedule III narcotic, open alcoholic container, possession of a firearm in the presence of a controlled dangerous substance and obstruction of justice.
Two of four arrested in Church Point robbery
CHURCH POINT — Two men were arrested Thursday morning and two others remain at large in an armed Church Point bank robbery that occurred Wednesday afternoon, Acadia Parish officials said.
Javonta J. Lazaro, 17, and Alinkay Carletta Wiley, 19, were arrested at 3 a.m. Thursday, were booked on one count each of armed robbery of a bank. Each were being held on $250,000 bail.
Investigators on Thursday worked to identify two others suspected of being involved, said Maxine Trahan, spokeswoman for the Acadia Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Trahan said three men walked into the Church Point Bank & Trust and demanded money. Witnesses said two of the robbers had handguns. Trahan said the three left the bank with an unknown amount of cash.
After the robbery, detectives received information that the suspects were hiding at a home in the 100 block of Vista Street, and called in a State Police SWAT team. But the lead turned out to be false.
Authorities later arrested Lazaro and Wiley.
Man booked in officer impersonation
MORGAN CITY — A man in street clothes allegedly told a woman Wednesday that he was an undercover police officer who had video of her selling drugs, and that to stay out of trouble she would have to hand over cash to him, officials said.
Gilbert C. Howard, 43, was booked at 2:05 a.m. Wednesday on one count of impersonating a police officer, spokesman James Blair said in a release.
Police responded to a hang-up 911 call on Justa Street to find a woman who told them she paid Howard cash after he told her police had video of her selling drugs.
Blair said someone called 911 after the victim gave cash to Howard, who told arriving police that he had identified himself as a police officer.
Duson man arrested in Tuesday robbery
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette detectives booked a Duson man Thursday on one count of first-degree robbery in an armed holdup at an Ambassador Caffery Parkway convenience store that occurred Tuesday afternoon, police said.
Lafayette detectives believe Kendall Livings, 30, was the man seen getting out of a four-door vehicle Tuesday, entering the store in the 2300 block of Ambassdor Caffery and handing the clerk a note demanding money, Cpl. Paul Mouton said.
The robbery occurred at 4:40 p.m. in a case that remains under investigation.
Suspect ID’d in Dec. 3 robbery in Lafayette
LAFAYETTE — Detectives have identified a homeless man as the suspect in an unarmed bank robbery on Johnston Street last week, officials said.
Nikita Valdmire Eremine is wanted on one count of simple robbery after he allegedly walked into Teche Federal Savings and grabbed a handful of cash from an area where a teller was counting money, Cpl. Paul Mouton said.
Eremine might have hopped on a bus to Lake Charles after the robbery, Mouton said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Lafayette police or Crime Stoppers at (337) 232-TIPS.
Arrests posted Dec. 12, 2013, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s web site:
- KENNETH JEROME ANGELLE: 56, of the 800 block of La. 726, Carencro. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- KEISHA ARCENEAUX: 25, of the 200 block of Marigny, Duson. She was booked on resisting an officer.
- JERRELL D. BATISTE: 23, of the 600 block of Landry Street, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana and for St. Martin Parish.
- CODY BREWER: 27, of the 100 block of Sweetbriar, Lafayette. He was booked on probation violation.
- JOHN EDWARD BROUSSARD: 34, of the 4200 block of St. John Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- MARK BRUNO: 46, of the 200 block of Karen Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- FLORENT CASTILLE IV: 26, of the 500 block of Pope Drive, Carencro. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- ERNEST JOSEPH COLEMAN: 56, of the 200 block of N. Pine Street, Lafayette. He was booked on being a pedestrian on a highway; felony theft; and no safety belt.
- JAVONTRAY DEION DAVIS: 17, of the 200 block of Snipe Road, Lafayette. He was booked on fighting.
- MARK ANTON DEMETTE JR.: 23, of the 100 block of Eugenie Drive, Duson. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- WILBERT EARL DUNCANTELL: 47, of the 400 block of Marignay, Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- KERRY GHOLSON: 55, of the 1000 block of Rushing Drive, Arnaudville. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- ALTON JOSEPH GOBERT JR.: 26, of the 100 block of S. Beadle Road, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- VANITY HALL: 25, of the 200 block of Pine, Lafayette. She was booked on disturbing the peace, resisting an officer and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ANTHONY CHARLES JOHNSON: 49, of the 300 block of Birch Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery (domestic).
- JENNIFER JOHNSON: 20, of the 100 block of Eunice Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on felony simple criminal damage to property and misdemeanor theft.
- LUCIEN LEGE: 32, of the 100 block of Huchinson, Morse. He was booked on careless driving, misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and public intimidation and retaliation.
- JARED D. LEGER: 27, of the 100 block of Adam Lane, Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- BRANDON JACOBY LEMELLE: 26, of the 100 block of Magellan Road, Carencro. He was booked on municipal purposes.
- LAMAR MALBROUGH: 23, of the 400 block of W. Edwards, Rayne. He was booked on fugitive and warrant/bench warrant.
- CATHERINE REBECCA MEINERZ: 41, of the 1700 block of Eraste Landry Road, Lafayette. She was booked on hold for extradition.
- TORY D-ARBY MONTGOMERY: 17, of the 700 block of B Linden Lewis Road, Youngsville. He was booked on fighting.
- JUSTIN NICHOLS: 27, of the 900 block of South Motgan Avenue, Broussard. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and violating a traffic signal.
- TERRENCE PAUL OZENNE: 31, of the 100 block of Rue Colombe Street, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- JESSE PACE: 53, of the 500 block of Malapart Road, Carencro. He was booked on simple assault.
- SETH POIRIER: 33, of the 0000 block of Cypress Tree Inn, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of probation violation.
- JOSEPH A. PROVENZANO: 20, of the 1200 block of Hickory Avenue, Harahan. He was booked on disobeying a stop sign, misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and open container of alcohol in a vehicle.
- TAWNY ROSAMAE ROBINSON: 23, of the 9719A block of Highway 339, Abbeville. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- MARCUS ALEX SASSAU: 24, of the 200 block of Justin Street, Lafayette. He was booked on possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- KYLE MARK TAYLOR: 34, of the 1400 block of Harold Stoute Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on felony unauthorized use of access card as theft.
- LAKESHA TAMEKA THOMAS: 30, of the 600 block of North Marigny, Duson. She was booked on fugitive.
- KIAJUANA D. THOMAS: 28, of the 100 block of Martin Street, Lafayette. She was booked on three counts of felony issuing worthless checks, three counts of fugitive, misdemeanor issuing worthless checks, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and resisting an officer.
- WILLIE JOHN JR. TRIMBLE JR.: 37, of the 200 block of South Larrivere Street, Youngsville. He was booked on telephone communications, improper language and harassment.
- CLYDE WAYNE TRUAX: 55, of the 100 block of Beaucypre Lane, Egan. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
- BYRON WILLIAMS: 26, of the 600 block of Beguand Street, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on for St. Martin Parish.
- GARY JAMES WOODS: 50, of the 800 block of St. Anne Street, Carencro. He was booked on three counts of fugitive and warrant/bench warrant.