Fire destroys home; family of nine escapes
A family of nine escaped an early Sunday morning blaze when they heard the fire roaring and saw the flames right before their smoke detector went off, a St. George Fire Department spokesman said.
No one was injured, but the house at 7808 Blake Drive in the Antioch Villa subdivision is considered a loss after the roof collapsed in the back of the house and utility lines had to be severed, Eldon Ledoux said.
The cause of the fire, which started in the carport, is undetermined and under investigation, Ledoux said.
St. George firefighters responded to the home at 12:27 a.m. and saw the carport engulfed in flames.
Firefighters declared the fire under control at 12:58 a.m., Ledoux said.
The two vehicles under the carport were destroyed, Ledoux said.
Nine suspected of DWI in East Baton Rouge
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Emanie Anderson, 20, 4869 W. Greenridge Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, driver’s license not in possession and drinking in a motor vehicle.
- Steven Buxton, 24, 13709 Tech Ave., Central, first-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in a vehicle and improper lane usage.
- Luther Chesney, 50, 1114 Raleigh Ave., Knoxville, Tenn., first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle and simple obstruction of a highway.
- Darren Colona, 41, 11111 N. Harrell’s Ferry Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper turn, disobeying a red light and improper lane usage.
- Charles Damico, 54, 10522 Brown Pelican St., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Brittany Desalvo, 30, 18220 N. Mission Hills Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
- Kathryn Moore, 23, 5528 Fennwood Drive, Zachary, first-offense DWI, improper left/right turns, driver’s license not in possession and reckless operation.
- Mahn Nguyen, 38, 6765 Corporate Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, headlights required and reckless operation.
- John Perry, 37, 7240 Antioch Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked, drinking in a motor vehicle, reckless operation of vehicle and improper turn.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.