One injured Monday in apartment fire on Hollywood

One person was hospitalized from injuries received in a fire that was caused by unattended cooking, the Baton Rouge Fire Department reported Monday night.

Firefighters arrived at the scene of the fire at 5252 Hollywood No. 208 and found the apartment’s kitchen engulfed in flames, Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said in a news release.

Flames spread to the attic above the kitchen before firefighters were able to bring the fire under control.

A resident of the apartment was pulled out of the apartment by neighbors. EMS personnel took the injured person, whose name was not immediately available, to a local hospital. Monte said the resident’s condition is unknown.

Adjoining apartments were not damaged by the fire but residents were not able to return to their home because there was no electricity to the units, Monte said. The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the residents of the adjoining apartments.