Deputies arrest man for hitting another man
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested a 37-year-old man Saturday after he was accused of hitting another man in the face with a glass plate from a microwave oven when the two argued about money.
Roderick Duff, 7272 Burbank Drive, Apt. 5, was booked into Parish Prison on Sunday on three counts of possession of a legend drug and one count of aggravated second-degree battery, prison records show.
The deputies found the victim by following a trail of blood and saw the victim had a three-inch cut on his neck and a small cut on his nose, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
A neighbor said the victim walked away from Duff and was watching television on the sofa when Duff grabbed the plate from the microwave oven and struck the victim, the affidavit said. The plate shattered from the impact.
Deputies also found three types of prescription pills in Duff’s pockets, but he could not provide a prescription for any of them, the affidavit said.
Indecent behavior counts filed by deputies
A 51-year-old man was arrested Saturday after two girls said they saw him masturbating in a bedroom window while they sat on a front porch of a nearby house.
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies booked Eugene Mitchell Lewis, 11155 Lac Cypress Ave., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on two counts of indecent behavior with juveniles, prison records show.
Since he moved in two weeks ago, the girls, ages 13 and 14, said Lewis has whistled at them as they got off the school bus, an affidavit of probable cause said.
Lewis told deputies he was recently released from the East Carroll Detention Center for an obscenity charge.
He works for Aramark as a school custodian in East Baton Rouge Parish schools from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. daily, which his parole officer signed off on because of the late hours, the affidavit said.
LSU student robbed on campus by gunman
An armed man robbed an LSU student early Sunday morning on East Campus Drive near the law school, LSU Police said.
A light-colored pickup stopped near where the student was walking on East Campus Drive. The passenger jumped out and demanded all items the victim had on him, spokesman Capt. Cory Lalonde said.
The robber pulled up his hooded sweatshirt and revealed a handgun in his waistband, Lalonde said.
He took a wallet and cellphone, jumped back into the pickup, which was last seen on Dalrymple Drive leaving campus, Lalonde said.
Police issued a campus-wide text alert at about 3:40 a.m., informing people of the robbery.
The vehicle is believed to be a 2004-2006 Toyota Tundra with a spare tire on the rear of the passenger’s side, Lalonde said.
The robber is described as a thin, white man, between 20-25 years old, about 5 feet, 10 inches and about 170 pounds.
He has blond hair and facial hair, Lalonde said.
The driver is a white man with brown or black hair, about 20-25 years old, about 5 feet, 10 inches and about 170 pounds, Lalonde said.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact LSU Police at 578-3231.
Authorities book eight on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Scott Bridges, 48, 3610 Westervelt Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Benjamin Butitta, 28, 18073 Brian’s Crossing Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, stopping a vehicle in a roadway, simple obstruction of a public highway and failure to maintain control.
- Travis Fritchie, 28, 21121 La. 16, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, expired motor vehicle inspection sticker and distribution/manufacturing of Schedule II drugs.
- Joseph Jackson, 31, 5863 Benson Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked, improper lane usage, reckless operation of a vehicle and drinking in a motor vehicle.
- Nicholas Lovett, 23, 11848 Lovett Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and careless operation of a vehicle.
- Armani Ricciardi, 21, 3921 Caspiana Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and careless operation of a vehicle.
- Jett Singleterry, 19, 4823 Constance St., New Orleans, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required, headlights required and improper lane usage.
- Thomas Weinman, 25, 11888 Baylor Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.