Teen booked in armed robbery, shooting
A 17-year-old boy was arrested Saturday after he allegedly shot the man who was robbing him, Baton Rouge police said.
While police were interviewing Tyquoan Carter, 6875 Harry Drive, Apt. 72, Baton Rouge, he admitted to recently robbing a Dollar General store with two accomplices, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Police booked Carter into Parish Prison on counts of attempted second-degree murder, armed robbery and illegal use of a weapon, according to affidavits of probable cause.
Early Friday morning, Carter was held up at gunpoint and forced to give a man $700 before he shot the would-be robber, an affidavit says.
On Sept. 16, Carter, along with the two suspected accomplices, held up a Dollar General store in the 1900 block of Plank Road while children and customers were present, an affidavit says.
The suspects entered the store around 8 p.m., waving guns and demanding money from store employees, the affidavit says.
The affidavits said police are also investigating recent robberies at other Dollar General stores.
A spokesman for the Baton Rouge Police Department said additional arrests are expected in the ongoing investigation.
Fire damages trailer, building in Zachary
A Sunday afternoon fire northwest of Zachary torched a mobile home and a building attached to it.
Firefighters were called out shortly after 2 p.m. to West Port Hudson Plains Road, where they found the mobile home engulfed in flames, said Deputy Chief David Armand, of the Zachary Fire Department.
No one was injured in the fire, and it appeared that no one lived in the mobile home, Armand said.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control, Armand said.
Authorities book six on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a man on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Billy Jenkins, 42, 5900 La. 68, Jackson, fourth-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, improper lane usage and possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle.
- Gina Garcia, 29, 5746 Macbeth Drive, second-offense DWI and failure to maintain to control.
- Richard Laphand, 37, 9935 Merganzer Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and drinking in a motor vehicle.
- Danielle Miller, 31, 18609 Greenwell Springs Road, Greenwell Springs, first-offense DWI.
- Luther Pipes, 64, 7269 Carlene Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and speeding.
- Phillip Ragusa, 28, 8024 Bayou Fountain Ave., first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.