Mother, 2 children escape Baker house fire (Video)

A mother and her two children escaped injury when fire broke out in their home during a heavy rainstorm Wednesday afternoon.

Baker Fire Department spokesman Howard Ward said the woman told them she heard a loud boom before she discovered the fire, leading firefighters to initially suspect that lightning struck the house at 718 Sherron St.

Later, firefighters found evidence that the fire may have started in the clothes dryer.

Firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof of the home to bring the fire under control, Ward said.

The Zachary Fire Department also responded to the call.