Blaze damages house on Calumet Street
A fire that broke out Thursday morning in a bedroom at a home in the 7000 block of Calumet Street caused significant heat and smoke damage to the dwelling, according to Robert Combs, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman.
The blaze spread into the home’s attic and caused flames to leap from one of the home’s bedroom windows, Combs said. Firefighters arrived at 6:07 a.m. and had the fire under control by 6:24 a.m., he said.
No one was injured in the fire. The cause remained under investigation Thursday night, Combs said.
19-year-old accused of sexual assault
Baton Rouge police arrested a 19-year-old man Wednesday accused of forcing a 6-year-old girl to the ground, removing her underwear and laying on top of her partially disrobed.
Ntumba Kasongo, 2195 Glenmore Drive, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of sex crimes with a juvenile, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
After a brief struggle, the victim yelled for help from a man who was walking in a nearby parking lot, the affidavit says.
Once the man — who was not identified in the affidavit — contacted Kasongo, he stood up, allowing the victim run away, the affidavit says.
Man, 34, accused of robbing woman
A 34-year-old man is accused of robbing a woman after propositioning for her oral sex on July 15.
Baton Rouge police on Wednesday booked Jeremy Sentel Blackburn, 8138 Skysail Ave., into Parish Prison on counts of armed robbery and attempted armed robbery, according to affidavits of probable cause.
Blackburn is accused of approaching the victim on July 15 in the parking lot of an apartment complex in the 2700 block of Huron Street holding a box cutter in one hand and something metal in the other hand. Blackburn also had his genitals exposed, the affidavits say.
Blackburn propositioned the victim for oral sex, the affidavit says. When she refused, police said, he grabbed the victim by the shirt, hit her with the metal object and stole her purse.
Blackburn is also accused of attempting to rob a woman Saturday in the 2100 block of North 15th Street, the affidavits say.
Man, 20, accused of carnal knowledge
Baton Rouge police officers arrested a 20-year-old man accused of having sex with a teenage girl about 15 times since she was 14 years old.
Police booked Christopher Jones, 3329 Kimberly Drive, Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on Wednesday on counts of sexual battery and carnal knowledge of a juvenile, according to an affidavit or probable cause.
The sexual encounters took place in various locations, including in Jones’ vehicle and in abandoned houses, beginning in early 2012 and ending in February, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Nine booked with DWI in Parish Prison
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Travis Allcock, 29, 19240 Pride Baywood Road, Pride, first-offense DWI, careless operation, hit-and-run, driver’s license suspended or revoked and illegal possession of stolen things.
- Ettenna Epps, 37, 1393 Wellington Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Kurt Eubanks, 39, 6368 Quinn Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and hit-and-run.
- Chad Fisher, 20, 8348 Beechwood, Denham Springs, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
- Damien Granger, 37, 5844 Oakwood Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, drinking in public, insurance required, reckless operation, speeding and a sheriff’s office fugitive.
- Miranda Johnson, 28, 11525 Brown Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, driving left of center, driver’s license expired and first-degree vehicular negligent injuring.
- Torey Kirby, 36, 911 Cross St., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, license plate required and operating a vehicle while driver’s license is suspended for a prior offense.
- Stephen Schneider, 28, 4115 Hundred Oaks Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, making improper turns and disobeying a red light.
- Dustin Simoneaux, 19, 275 Albert Hart Drive, Baton Rouge, underage DWI, motor vehicle inspection required, reckless operation and speeding.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.