Deputies: 2 men shot in BR, 1 survives
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies are investigating a Friday night shooting that left one man dead and another man seriously wounded.
The shooting occurred at 8 p.m. in the 7100 block of Greenwell Street near Denova Street, said Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks.
One man was transported from the scene and later pronounced dead, Hicks said, adding that the other man was dropped off at a hospital.
Baker man arrested in BR home invasion
Baton Rouge police arrested a 49-year-old man Thursday accused of kicking in the door of his ex-wife’s apartment and threatening another man with a butcher knife.
Gregory Ford, 13388 Clark Drive, Baker, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on counts of aggravated assault, home invasion, simple criminal damage to property, entering/remaining after being forbidden and simple robbery, according to an affidavit or probable cause.
Ford had previously been told by police officers that he was banned from entering the residence after he was arrested on domestic abuse battery of his ex-wife, the affidavit says.
After being told to leave and kicking in the door to the apartment, Ford armed himself with a butcher knife from the apartment’s kitchen and told the man “this matter wasn’t over between them,” the affidavit says.
Ford also is accused of grabbing a phone from his ex-wife’s hands and leaving with it, the affidavit says.
12 people booked with DWI counts
Authorities arrested at least 12 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Desmond Daniels, 38, 35353 Camp Salem Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana, reckless operation and possession of a firearm with drugs.
- Dominique Davis, 22, 2000 Brightside Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked and reckless operation.
- Karterea Freeman, 29, 11668 E. Black Oak Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana, speeding, drinking in a motor vehicle, driver’s license suspended or revoked and reckless operation.
- Mark Henderson, 41, 3147 Caseyville Road, Wesson, Miss., first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Christopher Huckeba, 50, 624 St. Tammany St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Courtney Joubert, 22, 10025 Beta Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Theron Melancon, 38, 10786 Cletus Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Ini Moore, 21, 550 Lee Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and possession of alcohol in a vehicle.
- Michael Robins, 51, 933 E. Harper, Opelousas, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and driver’s license required or expired.
- Brian Soileau, 22, 12468 Legacy Hill Drive, Geismar, first-offense DWI and a motor vehicle registration required violation.
- Javier Vargas, 34, 1244 Marque Ann Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and driver’s license not in possession.
- Isabel Villena, 24, 101 Juilian St., Mansfield, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and disobeying a red light.
Compiled from staff reports.