Arrest made in shooting of Honduran man

East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s deputies arrested an 18-year-old man Wednesday accused in the June 6 shooting of a Honduran man visiting his sister in the Gardere area.

Trevor Georgetown, 8024 Skysail Ave., Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and armed robbery in the death of 18-year-old Franklin “Franco” Ely Lara-Solis, sheriff’s spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said.

“I ain’t did that man, you know I ain’t did that,” Georgetown said Wednesday night as he was being escorted to a squad car outside the East Baton Rouge Parish Violent Crimes Unit on Independence Boulevard.

The June 6 shooting happened about 10 p.m. in front of an apartment complex in the 1700 block of Jade Avenue, down the road from the apartment Lara-Solis had been staying at with his sister, Cintia Rivera.

Lara-Solis had been on his way to a late-night soccer game with a friend at the time of the shooting. He decided to wait in his friend’s Chevrolet Silverado — with the window down — while the friend went upstairs to get a change of shoes for the game.

Georgetown allegedly walked up to the truck wearing a ski mask and shot Lara-Solis in the chest while he sat in the truck and stole Lara-Solis’ cellphone.

“It’s good detective work, but it’s also based on relationships that have been established between law enforcement and community,” Hicks said.

Lara-Solis later died at a hospital.

Georgetown also fired shots at Lara-Solis’ friend when he approached the vehicle, but the shots missed. Georgetown was last seen running toward GSRI Avenue.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, Georgetown fired the shots from “a .357 caliber revolver.”

Georgetown told witnesses after the shooting that he had shot and killed a man, showed them the gun he used and gave the witness a cellphone later found to have belonged to the victim, Hicks said.

Georgetown told the witnesses that he “shot and killed a ‘Mexican,’ ” the affidavit says.

The witness later gave deputies the stolen cellphone.

Though only 18, Georgetown has been arrested numerous times and had already been under indictment for armed robbery and marijuana possession, according to court records.

He was already in jail when he was booked on Wednesday in the Gardere slaying.

Last month, officers with the Baton Rouge Area Violence Elimination enforcement unit and the Special Response Team were in the Gardere area searching for Georgetown because he had an active arrest warrant for unauthorized use of a moveable, simple burglary and criminal damage to property.

The warrant stemmed from a June 10 incident in which Georgetown allegedly stole a Toyota Tacoma from a Baton Rouge residence and abandoned it at a gas station in St. Gabriel.

Georgetown began running through Starwood Court Park when he saw the BRAVE officers, but he was later taken into custody after a foot chase.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, Capt. Noel J. Salamoni spotted a discarded 9 mm Ruger in the vicinity that had been reported stolen in October.

Staff writers Jim Mustian
and Ben Wallace contributed to this report.