Leaves catch Perkins Road garage on fire
A man burning leaves in his yard Sunday afternoon caused a house fire on Perkins Road, the Baton Rouge Fire Department said.
Firefighters arrived at 8539 Perkins Road at 12:53 p.m. after embers from the burning leaves were carried by the wind into the home’s garage, igniting items inside the garage, department spokesman Robert Combs said in a news release.
The burning was unauthorized, Combs said.
The fire was brought under control at 1 p.m., Combs said.
Firefighters contained fire damage to the garage, Combs said. The living area sustained moderate smoke damage.
No one was injured, Combs said.
Authorities arrest 12 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 12 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Calvin Andre, 48, 78735 Hardin Road, Rosedale, first-offense DWI, failure to signal/improper turn, improper lane usage, driver’s license not in possession and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Cailyn Bauer, 22, 31231 Walker N. Road, Walker, first-offense DWI, failure to yield for emergency vehicle, reckless operation of a vehicle and disobeying a red light.
- Ryan Bridges, 33, 12206 Pheasantwood Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI.
- Brian Broussard, 20, 318 E. 6th St., Crowley, first-offense DWI, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Tracy Cannon, 39, 3424 Alliquippa St., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage and driver’s license not in possession.
- Jason Croft, 39, 14543 W. Beaver Drive, Pride, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and following too close.
- Jody Delaneuville, 49, 14360 Harry Savoy Road, St. Amant, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Michael Horton, 22, 327 Douglas Drive, Houma, first-offense DWI, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Michael Seth, 33, 1808 Brightside Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, stopping vehicle in the roadway and simple obstruction of a public highway.
- Darnell Smith, 45, 7033 Jewel Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, insurance required and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Latonya Smith, 38, 4220 Joseph St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, other laws of the road and obstruction of an intersection.
- Kiefer Stinson, 31, 955 Husband St., Baker, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control/careless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.