Man booked with attempted murder
Baton Rouge police arrested a man Saturday accused of knocking his girlfriend to the ground and gashing her with kitchen knives.
Billy Williams, 44, 3461 Wyandotte St., was booked into Parish Prison on counts of attempted second-degree murder, false imprisonment and simple assault, an arrest warrant and prison records show.
Williams remained in jail Sunday on a bail of $56,500.
The victim told police that her relationship with Williams had been fine until recently, an arrest warrant says.
On Saturday, Williams went to the woman's house and asked her for help paying his bills, another arrest warrant says.
According to that warrant, the following occurred:
Once inside the house, Williams forced the victim into her bedroom, locked the door and knocked her to the floor. Williams pulled two red-handled kitchen knives and proclaimed, "I am going to kill you today."
The woman pleaded with Williams, saying, "Stop. It doesn't have to go down this way."
Williams got on top of the victim and began to thrust the knives at her.
The woman raised her arms to fend off the attack, suffering wounds to her left wrist and arm, right thigh and right shoulder.
When the victim pleaded with Williams to stop, he did. Then she persuaded him to let her leave to get help for her wounds.
The woman went to a pharmacy, and Williams followed her.
When she was finished at the store, she told Williams she was going to work, but she called the police instead. Officers arrested Williams in the parking lot of the pharmacy.
for poisoning dog
Sheriff's deputies arrested a 69-year-old Baton Rouge man Sunday in the fatal poisoning of his neighbor's dog with a component found in antifreeze.
Sheriff's deputies booked Darryl Cleveland, 14585 Summers Road, into Parish Prison on Sunday on one count of aggravated cruelty to animals, an affidavit warrant says.
On Jan. 16, the victim's chocolate lab Copper died at a veterinarian's clinic after the victim saw the dog vomiting hot dog bits, the warrant says.
The next day, a neighbor told the victim he saw Cleveland, also a neighbor, throwing hot dogs into the victim's backyard, specifically into the dog pen, on Jan. 14, the warrant says.
An autopsy on the dog found ethylene glycol, a component found in antifreeze, in the dog's system and the hot dogs, the warrant says.
One of the veterinarians who performed the autopsy identified the ingestion of the hot dogs "contaminated with ethylene glycol" as the cause of death, the warrant says.
The victim said Cleveland has harassed him multiple times regarding the dog, the warrant says.
15 booked on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 15 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Joshua Allison, 21, 1254 Aberdeen Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Cornell Brown, 38, 2640 70th Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, license plate required, reckless operation of a vehicle, driver's license suspended/revoked and improper lane usage.
- Austin Fletcher, 22, 17735 Creek Hollow Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Dana Gaffney, 20, 1415 St. Albans Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to signal/improper turn.
- Eugene Guidry, 24, 6398 Coushatta Drive, Gonzales, first-offense DWI, stop sign/yield sign violation, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Cody Hebert, 18, 196 E. Lakeshore Drive, Thibodaux, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and passing on the right.
- Ronnie Henry, 48, 2143 Thomas Delpit Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, insurance required, reckless operation of a vehicle, speeding, license plate switched and driver's license suspended/revoked.
- Jacob Kraft, 26, 10321 Springtree Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper turns, driver's license suspended/revoked and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Seung Lee, 25, 372 Francis Harriet Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run, reckless operation of a vehicle and simple criminal damage to property.
- Harold Orgeron, 27, 10031 Shannon Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and speeding.
- Myrtle Scott, 69, 1036 N. 35th St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to signal/improper turn.
- Marvin Turner, 34, 8045 Dyer Road, Baker, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, possession of alcoholic beverage in vehicle and stop sign/yield sign violation.
- Michael Walker, 43, 2304 Jasmine St., Monroe, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, driver's license suspended/revoked and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Matthew Willis, 20, 37044 N. Millstone, Geismar, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and speeding.
- Joseph Zubik, 55, 2525 W. Orice Roth Road, Gonzales, first-offense DWI, failure to signal/improper turn, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.