Police arrest couple
in beating, robbery
Police have arrested a man and woman accused of robbing and beating a woman early Wednesday in the 4500 block of Mohican Street.
Benjamin Jeffers, 46, 161 N. 6th St., Opelousas, and Jennetta Toliver, 33, 9967 Sunny Cline Drive, were each booked Wednesday on counts of armed robbery and attempted first-degree murder, according to East Baton Rouge Parish Prison records.
According to two affidavits of probable cause, Jeffers and Toliver were riding in the victim’s vehicle when they started arguing with her.
Toliver punched the victim several times in the face and Jeffers pulled the victim out of her vehicle by her hair, according to the affidavits Both then began hitting the victim with their fists, a glass bottle and a metal object.
Jeffers and Toliver left the victim on the side of the road and fled in her vehicle, the affidavits state.
In addition to stealing the victim’s car, the pair took the victim’s purse and cellular phone, which were found in the vehicle, according to the affidavits. The victim was left with multiple cuts, face swelling, fluid in her right ear, nasal factures and several missing teeth.
Zachary man booked
in son’s slaying
A Zachary man accused of shooting his son in the leg Feb. 13 has been booked with manslaughter after his son died from his wounds Monday.
Leroy Wilkerson, 62, allegedly shot his son, Aswan Wilkerson, 35, at their home at 21828 Samuels Road following a fight, according to an East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office news release.
Aswan Wilkerson was transported to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg and underwent emergency surgery. Leroy Wilkerson was transported to the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison and booked with attempted manslaughter.
The father and son had an argument in which Aswan Wilkerson was accused of attacking his father, according to affidavits filed by police.
Leroy Wilkerson retrieved a pistol from the home and shot his son, the affidavits state.
Leroy Wilkerson called 911 and waited for the authorities, according to the affidavits.
The victim was still in the hospital recovering from the injury Monday when he died from the gunshot wound, according to Thursday’s news release. Leroy Wilkerson’s charge was upgraded to manslaughter.
Pot on stove started fire, authorities say
A Thursday morning fire at the Warren House apartments on Airline Highway was caused by a resident who fell asleep while a pot was on the stove, according to a Baton Rouge Fire Department news release.
The fire at Unit 104 was called in to firefighters at 8:25 a.m.
The resident, who fell asleep while he was cooking, woke up when he smelled the smoke from the fire, the release says.
The blaze gutted the apartment and caused smoke and heat damage to three other nearby apartment units, according to the release.
No one was injured in the fire.
Police make arrest
in store robbery
Baton Rouge police Wednesday arrested a 19-year-old Baton Rouge man who is accused of unlocking the front door of the Hobby Lobby on College Drive at 8:36 p.m. on Dec. 22 and allowing a robber to enter and rob the store.
Police booked Aries Devante Jones, 2965 Seneca St., into Parish Prison on one count of armed robbery, an affidavit of probable cause says.
Security camera footage shows Jones giving a “thumbs up” gesture to the robber before opening the door, the affidavit says.
Seven DWI suspects booked into prison
Authorities arrested at least seven people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Chester Brown, 54, 3834 Crestain Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, license plate light required and operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offense.
- Nicholas Cusimano, 30, 2212 Jean Lafitte Park, Chalmette, first-offense DWI, motor vehicle inspection required, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Eric Dicus, 27, 17152 N. Achord Road, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage and careless driving.
- Daniel Lightsey, 33, 313 E. King Ave., Chamberlain, S.D., first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Joe Louis, 29, 22720 A West St., Plaquemine, first-offense DWI, no proof of insurance, speeding and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Katherine O’Malley, 28, 1 Mimi Circle, Thibodaux, first-offense DWI, headlight required and improper lane usage.
- Jacob Turnipseed, 23, 777 Holly Grove Road, Anacoco, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and improper lane usage.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.