Firefighters put out apartment blaze
A lit candle in an empty apartment sparked a blaze late Saturday that caused heavy damage but no injuries, a St. George Fire Department spokesman said.
St. George Fire Department firefighters encountered dense smoke about 9:40 p.m. Saturday when they arrived at 8736 Elvin Drive, Apt. B, spokesman Eldon Ledoux said in a news release.
Firefighters doused the flames about 20 minutes later. Nobody was home when the fire started, Ledoux said.
The fire burned the living room where it began, and smoke and heat caused heavy damage throughout the unit, Ledoux said.
Electricity to the apartment was turned off as a result of the fire, he said.
Elvin Drive is in the southern part of East Baton Rouge Parish in the area of Burbank Drive and Old Hermitage Parkway.
2 sitting in vehicle wounded in shooting
Two people were injured about 8 p.m. Saturday after an unknown assailant fired multiple shots at them while they sat in a car in a private driveway in the 700 block of N. 25th St., a Baton Rouge police spokesman said.
The victims fled and went to a hospital where one was treated for a gunshot wound to a finger and the other for an injury to the face where a bullet grazed it, spokesman Cpl. Tommy Stubbs said.
The investigation is ongoing, Stubbs said.
5 arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- William Alford, 50, 223 Tammar St., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Joshua Belgard, 37, 36520 Rosalie Ave., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Kasey Helms, 21, 29955 Lord, Holden, first-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Nicky Kluka, 36, 26149 La. 43, Springfield, second-offense DWI, headlights required and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Nico Santiny, 36, 17545 Lake Willow Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage and disobeying a red light.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.