Sheriff’s Office investigates death
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies are trying to determine what happened to a man whose body was found Sunday in Bayou Manchac near the 18000 block of Santa Maria Parkway, sheriff’s spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said.
The body was found about 12:15 p.m., she said.
So far, deputies have found no signs of foul play, Hicks said.
Deputies are still trying to identify the man but believe he was homeless, Hicks said.
Ascension Parish Sheriff’s deputies also responded and will assist East Baton Rouge Parish deputies in the investigation, Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Tony Bacala said.
Man arrested on stalking charges
Baton Rouge police arrested a 27-year-old man Saturday accused in the stalking and threatening of his ex-girlfriend, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Police were called to the Jack in the Box restaurant at 2805 Chippewa St. about 4:30 a.m. regarding a car that had been parked there with its lights on for an hour, the affidavit says.
An officer discovered the vehicle belong to Ardean Wilson and recognized Wilson’s name from a Jan. 6 harassment case involving Wilson and his ex-girlfriend, the affidavit says.
Officers went to the ex-girlfriend’s house and found Wilson at the back door, the affidavit says.
Wilson ran away, but officers caught him near the Jack in the Box, the affidavit says.
Officers went back to the ex-girlfriend’s house and found that Wilson used sticks to write out a message saying, “Y no love me,” the affidavit says.
The ex-girlfriend told police that Wilson also had been going to her children’s day care center daily, asking them about her personal life, the affidavit says.
In the previous harassment case, Wilson had continually sent his ex-girlfriend text messages over a 15-hour time period Jan. 6, the affidavit says.
Wilson also showed up at her house several times that same day and said he was going to “put her in the hospital,” the affidavit says.
Wilson, 4665 Aldrich Drive, was booked into Parish Prison on one count each of stalking, simple assault and improper telephone communication.
House catches fire for second time
Firefighters extinguished a fire at a home on St. Croix Avenue early Sunday, about 12 hours after dousing a blaze at the same house, a St. George Fire Department spokesman said.
The Fire Department received a call just before 6 a.m. Sunday about a fire burning at 1781 St. Croix Ave., spokesman Eldon Ledoux said in a news release.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 20 minutes, he said. The cause is under investigation, Ledoux said.
The fire Saturday in the same house started in the kitchen about 5:45 p.m., Ledoux said. Flames damaged the kitchen, dining area and living room, and smoke damaged the rest of the house.
There were no injuries, Ledoux said.
10 arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Ahmed Almulhem, 31, 10732 S. Mall Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Mark Delee, 53, 1559 Bellglade Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Ched Harson, 20, 116 Manchester Drive, Houma, first-offense DWI and turns not allowed.
- Adam Hubbard, 24, 13230 Oak Knoll Drive, Geismar, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, improper turns and failure to signal.
- Amber Jarreau, 30, 23865 Joe May Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Joseph Jarreau, 53, 11186 Terrace St., Oscar, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Suresh Shahi, 44, 373 Community College Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, failure to signal, operating a vehicle while under suspension for a prior offense and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Alphonse Spurlock, 54, 4220 Walmsley Ave., New Orleans, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Chris Theriot, 30, 4445 Alvin Dark Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Jacob Ybarra, 19, 11216 Blossom Bell Drive, Austin, Texas, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and turns not allowed.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.