3 hospitalized in BR after powder blast
Three people were taken to a hospital early Tuesday after burning themselves while trying to ignite a large amount of gunpowder for a New Year’s Day fireworks celebration, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman said.
Firefighters were called around 1:30 a.m. to a report of burns in the 9200 block of Highland Road, spokesman Robert Combs said.
The three people, who were not identified, tried to pour a large amount of flammable powder into one container to make a “big bang” type of explosion, Combs said.
When they initially tried to light the container, it did not go off, Combs said.
As the three people were checking it, the container exploded and burned them, Combs said.
The three people were taken to a hospital with various injuries, including burns, cuts and other serious injuries, Combs said.
12 booked with DWI in EBR Parish Prison
Authorities arrested at least 12 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Monday and 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Ian Bizette, 22, 5969 La. 1 S., Brusly, first-offense DWI.
- James Brown, 21, 1427 Rose Garden Drive, Metairie, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Patrick Bussart, 27, 13630 Kenner Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and possession of marijuana.
- Kenneth Hill, 61, 231 Kenilworth Parkway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, failure to maintain control and reckless operation.
- Alexandria Knight, 20, 10126 St. Monica Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Marlon Matamoros, 24, 8223 Bayou Fountain Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required/expired and reckless operation.
- Curtis Mitchell, 28, 3851 Lillian Lane, Ethel, second-offense DWI, driver’s license expired/required and expired license plate.
- Colby Nelson, 9242 Rudolph Davis, St. Francisville, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Omar Saenz, 23, 5779 Commerce, St. Francisville, first-offense DWI and disturbing the peace/intoxicated.
- Damond Savoir, 37, 1918 Coteau Rodaire Highway, Arnaudville, second-offense DWI, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.
- Sarjeet Singh, 36, 3391 Prentiss Ave., Moss Point, Miss., first-offense DWI.
- Brad S. Vanoss, 44, 887 Burgin Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
Compiled from Advocate staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.