Firefighters douse apartment fire
Baton Rouge firefighters are investigating the cause of a Sunday morning fire at the Oakland Apartments on Airline Highway.
Firefighters arrived at the complex at 8383 Airline Highway at 9 a.m. and found flames in unit No. 45, Fire Department spokesman Robert Combs said in a news release. The fire was under control at 9:12 a.m., Combs said.
Firefighters believe the blaze began in the living room of the unit near a wall heater, Combs said. Flammable substances also were in the area, he said. The fire heavily damaged the living room and kitchen, and the rest of the unit suffered heavy smoke and heat damage, Combs said. The unit is considered a total loss, Combs said. No one was injured, Combs said.
7 arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least seven people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Charles Caballero, 21, 5577 La. 405, Donaldsonville, first-offense DWI and disobeying a control device.
- Philip Cowgill, 59, 1491 McMichael St., first-offense DWI and illegal U-turn.
- Alvin Hayes, 44, 4886 Longfellow Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Anthony Hunt, 29, 1707 Emmaline Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked, reckless operation, failure to maintain control and false motor vehicle inspection certificate.
- Ryan Morvant, 27, 655 Marie Antoinette, first-offense DWI, speeding and reckless operation.
- Sadie Ponstein, 28, 15613 Shenandoah Square Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, headlights required and drinking in a motor vehicle.
- Joyce Sigler, 21, 18217 Manchac Place, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and seat belt violation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.