Details emerge in slaying

Baton Rouge police had responded to at least 40 calls of domestic violence between a man and his estranged girlfriend over the course of their relationship before the man allegedly stabbed and killed her early Monday, arrest records show.

Mark Turner, 48, 3060 N. Acadian Thruway E., was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on a count of second-degree murder after he stabbed and killed Shalonda Green, 30, at her home on 2726 Jackson Ave., police spokesman Cpl. Tommy Stubbs said.

Court records do not indicate how long the two were in a relationship, but they do say that Turner had already threatened Green’s life once in late November, nearly a year after she set his car on fire.

When officers arrived at Green’s home Monday, they saw Turner jump a fence and run away. After a chase, they caught him and discovered Turner’s hand, arm and abdomen were cut, and he had blood on his hand, shirt, pants and socks, according to an affidavit of probable cause for Turner’s arrest.

Officers found Green inside the house with multiple stab wounds, the affidavit says. She died later at a hospital.

Police had been called by both Green and Turner during the course of their relationship for such acts as simple battery, aggravated assault and remaining after being forbidden.

Turner had been arrested as recently as Nov. 30 “for violent acts toward (Green),” the affidavit says.

Stubbs said Turner was also arrested on counts of simple battery and disturbing the peace in the same incident, but the details of what happened were not available Tuesday.

Turner was arrested Nov. 23 and accused of breaking into Green’s Jackson Avenue home where he held a knife to her throat, according to an affidavit of probable cause.

Turner and Green broke up about four months before the Nov. 23 incident, the affidavit says.

On that day, Turner entered Green’s home and went into her bedroom armed with a large kitchen knife, the affidavit says.

Turner told Green’s new boyfriend, who was in the bedroom with Green, to leave the house and never see Green again, the affidavit says.

As Green stood up, Turner pushed her and “struck her in the mouth with a closed fist, without consent,” the affidavit says.

Green’s new boyfriend ran away out of fear for his life, the affidavit says.

Turner held the knife to Green’s throat and threatened her over her new relationship, the affidavit says.

Green’s daughter, 15, then jumped out of a bathtub and grabbed another knife, the affidavit says.

The daughter chased Turner away, and Green called police, the affidavit says.

Turner bonded out of Parish Prison on counts of simple battery, aggravated assault and unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling in that incident.

Green was arrested Jan. 31 after setting Turner’s car on fire Dec. 22, 2011, according to an arrest warrant.

Green stole Turner’s keys and broke into the garage at Turner’s Dallas Drive home where the car was stored, the affidavit says.

Authorities later recovered the burned car, a 1989 red Dodge Intrepid, on Cadillac Street, the affidavit says.

Turner called Green about the fire, and Green told Turner she burned the car because he was messing around with another woman, the affidavit says.

Despite their rocky relationship, neither Green nor Turner ever filed for restraining orders against each other, District Attorney Hillar Moore III said.

Family members for Green and Turner could not be reached for comment Tuesday.