Suspect, 20, accused in attempted murder
A man accused of stealing $500 in gambling winnings was arrested Friday on five counts of attempted first-degree murder after shots were fired at a group of people, wounding one of them, an affidavit says.
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested Eric L. Russell, 20, 4530 Paige St., in the Nov. 9 shooting and robbery in the 5900 block of Atlanta Street.
Russell was one of three men who spoke on Atlanta Street to a group of five people, including the man who had won money earlier in the day, the affidavit says.
Russell and the other two men allegedly turned around and leveled handguns on the five people in the group, ordering them “to give it up,” the affidavit says.
One victim was told to take off his pants, and two of the victims ran away.
Russell and the others fired, the affidavit says, hitting one of the victims several times.
The victim is expected to survive.
The gunmen took the money from the man who had won it gambling, the affidavit says.
Deputies also booked Russell on counts of armed robbery, illegal use of a weapon and criminal damage to property.
Another man wanted in the case, Christopher Hymes, 19, 5637 Denova Drive, surrendered to police earlier in the week.
Twelve booked on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 12 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Joshua Allemond, 28, 4815 Jaselyn Ann Ave., second-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, hit-and-run and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Joshua Boudreaux, 34, 13122 Dee Gautreau Road, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Cynthia Boyer, 49, 517 Grand Lakes Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and hit and run.
- Tilelia Butler, 31, 11205 Plank Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and equipment violation.
- Deirdre Hatheway, 44, 10763 Island Road, Ventress, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Roslyn Jack, 40, 1353 Michigan Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- Zachary Kilshaw, 23, 1913 Country Club Drive, first-offense DWI, equipment violation, motor vehicle inspection required and stop sign/yield sign.
- John Overby, 43, 10625 Oakley Trace Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Kelvin Singleton, 23, 7024 Rio Drive, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, driving over the median, drinking in a motor vehicle and careless driving.
- Tyler Slocum, 25, 4442 Beaver Creek, Greenwell Springs, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Fredrick Thomas, 32, 2629 Fairfield Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, improper lane usage, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Willie Turner, 29, 658 E. Millburn, first-offense DWI.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.