October 09, 2012
Baker man booked
with simple arson
East Baton Rouge sheriff’s deputies arrested a man accused of trying to set fire to a car Saturday morning, an affidavit of probable cause says.
According to the affidavit, a deputy saw Charles Edward Turner, 57, 5500 W. Tiger Chene Court, Baker, drive away from a car with a burning cloth sticking out of the gas tank and some possible accelerant on the ground next to it at 8137 Skysail Ave. Another deputy soon arrived and helped extinguish the fire.
After the deputies noticed the car’s windows were damaged, a neighbor reported that a man in a black truck tried to break the windows, left the scene, but then returned to set fire to the car, the affidavit says.
Deputies then saw Turner drive by the scene and another deputy stopped him a little while later.
Deputies reported Turner told them he had been beaten up at Dancers, a bar on Airline Highway, after talking to a girl. Deputies said Turner admitted he wanted to retaliate against the girl by breaking the windows in her car and then setting it ablaze, according to the affidavit.
Deputies booked Turner into Parish Prison on one count each of simple arson and simple criminal damage to property.
Authorities book 8 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Lavell Davis, 30, 1111 Rodin Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, equipment violation and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- David Etheridge, 40, 32115 Weiss Road, Walker, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Joshua Landry, 27, 59570 Bellview Drive, Plaquemine, first-offense DWI and headlights required.
- Heriberto Lopez, 23, 9228 Florida Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required and improper lane usage.
- Damion Milton, 27, 4302 Harding St., Baker, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage, driver’s license suspended and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Ronald Pitre, 48, 27381, Tullier Lane, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, stop sign/yield sign and operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offense
- Robert Simpson, 37, 15076 Lockridge Drive, Pride, first-offense DWI and possession of Schedule 4 drugs.
- Travis Williams, 29, 7523 Poinsettia Drive, Baton Rouge, third-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in the vehicle, reckless operation of a vehicle, improper lane usage and disobeying a red light.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.