August 20, 2012
Morning house fire destroys bedroom
An early morning fire Sunday started in a home’s back bedroom, the Fire Department said.
Nobody was home when the fire at 2734 Osceola St., was called in about 5:40 a.m., a news release says.
Investigators don’t know yet what started the fire, but it destroyed the bedroom where it probably started. The flames spread to the attic before it was brought under control by about 6 a.m., the release says. The rest of the home was damaged by smoke and water.
The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.
Police arrest six on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Matthew Francis, 24, 35355 N. Corbin Road, Walker, second-offense DWI, failure to signal and improper turning.
- Brandon Gallagher, 29, 1428 Newton St., Gretna, first-offense DWI and equipment violation.
- Haley Hebert, 21, 1620 Live Oak Drive, Brusly, first-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle and improper lane usage.
- Shea Jeansonne, 22, 347 Shanewood Drive, Marksville, first-offense DWI, disobeying a police officer and possession of marijuana.
- Eduardo Perez, 31, 911 Rittner Drive, first-offense DWI, insurance required and negligent vehicular injuring.
- Markies Williams, 21, 62415 Jones St., Plag, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, careless driving and driver’s license required or expired.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.