Man dies after fight; suspect arrested
Police arrested a Mandeville man on Wednesday for allegedly killing a man by shoving him to the ground and causing him to hit his head on concrete.
The incident occurred at 3 a.m. Sunday during a fight the men had at a party at 532 Albert Hart Drive, police spokesman Cpl. Tommy Stubbs said.
After the fight, Christopher Dimattia 36, 10567 Springbrook Ave., lost consciousness and witnesses brought him inside the residence, where he died several hours later, Stubbs said.
An autopsy performed on Dimattia showed he died from skull fractures and trauma to the head, Stubbs said.
Jeryet Bourg, 26, 1308 America St., Mandeville, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on a count of manslaughter.
District Attorney Hillar Moore III said Wednesday he will recuse himself from prosecuting the case because he is a friend of the homeowner where the fight occurred.
Detectives arrest man in shooting
East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested a man Wednesday accused of shooting another man Sunday evening after trying to rob him of his cellphone, an affidavit of probable cause said.
Leo Terrell Paul, 17, went to a friend’s home on Glen Echo Drive and demanded the friend’s cellphone, the affidavit said.
Paul shot the man after he refused to give up the phone, the affidavit said.
The victim was hit in the leg and was taken to a hospital for treatment, the affidavit said.
Paul ran away but was later caught and booked into Parish Prison on one count each of attempted first-degree murder and attempted armed robbery.
Authorities book 6 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Tuesday and 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Kristopher Miller, 22, 1183 La. 70, Pierre Part, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Joseph Rodriguez, 23, 2041 S. Brightside View Drive, first-offense DWI and failure to signal/improper turn.
- Derek Roth, 30, 7744 Lasalle Ave., first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Brittany Lewis, 23, 9914 Chanadia Drive, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Arthur Couvillon, 52, 26483 Shadow View Ave., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and backing unsafely.
- Andrew Dufrene, 22, 917 Winona Drive, Mandeville, first-offense DWI, motor vehicle inspection required/expired and disobeying a red light.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.