Seven state-run public schools in north Baton Rouge are directing parents who are interested in signing up their children for school this fall to a new parent center at one of the schools, Lanier Elementary.
The state’s Recovery School District, which oversees the seven schools, also announced on Monday seven “Meet the Principals” gatherings for, starting Thursday and ending July 3.
The new parent center will offer enrollment help, answer questions and offer access to some computer services, said Kizzy Payton, an RSD spokeswoman.
The center will be open from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday through the summer and will remain open during the 2012-13 school year, Payton said.
“It’s just another option and resource for parents to use,” she said.
Payton said the other six RSD schools are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. through the summer, and parents can also seek information at those schools.
Istrouma High is operating out of Living Faith Family Center, 6375 Winbourne Ave., until July 1, when RSD will officially take over the school from the East Baton Rouge Parish school system, Payton said.
The seven north Baton Rouge schools, in what the RSD describes as an “Achievement Zone,” are Capitol High, Crestworth Middle, Dalton Elementary, Glen Oaks Middle, Istrouma, Lanier and Prescott Middle schools.
All will be run by RSD this school year. All seven were formerly operated by the parish school system but were taken over by the state due to chronic low academic performance and will be run by RSD this year.
Six have until recently been operated as charter schools. Crestworth Middle is the newest member of the Achievement Zone. Earlier this month, RSD announced it was taking the charter back from the group that has run the school the past three years, a group led by leaders of Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church in Baton Rouge.
The state plans over time to find new charter management groups to run all seven schools.
To contact the RSD Parent Center, call (225) 357-5953. For more information about the RSD, go to www.rsdla.net.
Here’s the schedule of upcoming “Meet the Principal” sessions:
- Thursday, 5 p.m., Prescott Middle, being held at Living Faith Family Center.
- Thursday, 6 p.m., Istrouma High, being held at Living Faith Family Center.
- Monday, 6 p.m., Dalton Elementary School, being held at Rose Hill Baptist Church, 3765 N. Acadian Thruway.
- Monday, 6 p.m., Glen Oaks Middle School, being held at S.E. Mackey Center, 6534 Ford St.
- June 26, 6 p.m., Lanier Elementary School, being held at Gloryland Baptist Church, 2575 Michelli Dr.
- June 28, 6 p.m., Capitol High School, 1000 N. 23rd St.
- July 3, 6 p.m., Crestworth Middle, 10650 Avenue F.