Police: SUV driver was unlicensed teen
A teenager landed in the Juvenile Detention Center Sunday after he took his parents SUV and drove it around McKinley High School’s track until he lost control and smashed into school property, police said.
The driver, 16, took two other boys with him in the Yukon SUV when he drove to the high school about 5 a.m., Lt. Don Kelly said Sunday in an email.
The boy drove the vehicle onto the running track and started driving until he lost control, clipped a pole, took out about 16 feet of chain-link fence and crashed into the bleachers, Kelly said.
After that, the teen drove to the front of the school, parked the Yukon and called police about 5:50 a.m.
“He tried to tell the responding officer that he had accidentally hit a pole in front of the school, but the physical evidence didn’t match up and the officer didn’t believe his story,” Kelly said. “Through further investigation and questioning (the officer) eventually got the truth about what actually happened.”
Kelly said the driver’s parents pressed charges. Their son was placed in the detention center, charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and driver’s license required, he said.
The passengers, one 16 and the other 13, were not charged, he said. They were released to their parents.
Kelly said he could not release the names of the boys because they’re juveniles.
DWI arrests include 3rd and 4th offenses
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated — including a man on a third-offense DWI and another on a fourth-offense — in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Nancy Bueche, 53, 25980 4H Club Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked, reckless operation and improper turns.
- Nathan Cannon, 19, 8300 Pin Oak Lane, Zachary, first-offense DWI, failure to dim headlights and monetary instrument abuse.
- Chelsea Gauthier, 18, 24290 Oma Harris Lane, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, improper lane usage and possession of marijuana.
- Darminic Johnson, 21, 7485 Oakleaf Drive, first-offense DWI and careless driving.
- James Lewis, 27, 2424 W. Contour Drive, third-offense DWI, reckless operation and following too close.
- Charles McGaff, 26, 36 Muirfield Drive, LaPlace, second-offense DWI and speeding.
- Henry Montgomery, 53, 6270 San Juan Drive, fourth-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and ignition interlock device off.
- Manuel Ventura, 47, 7550 Pecue Lane, first-offense DWI, operating a vehicle without lawful presence in the U.S., failure to maintain control and possession of alcoholic beverage in vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.