- ZACH METTENBERGER: The Mett had his second straight great game with stats that would equal a big win for almost every other college quarterback in the Western Hemisphere. He has to play like this every week.
- KENNY HILLIARD: If Jeremy Hill is Batman in the backfield, then Hilliard deserves to be Robin. His two touchdowns in the first half, which included a 34-yard touchdown run, were just what LSU needed.
- LSU’s STARTING RECEIVERS: Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry were great again Saturday. These guys are making amazing catches seem routine.
- LSU DEFENSE: The Tigers would need to hire five PR firms to spin allowing 23 points in the first half to Mississippi State, and they still couldn’t do it. Forget the APB, this defense needs help from NASA, because the points it has allowed the past two weeks are out of this world.
- LSU’S SECONDARY: Note to any defensive coach — please don’t play man-to-man coverage in the secondary. These young guys just aren’t ready yet. They misplay balls in the air and lose track of the receivers they cover, and that’s a bad combination. It’s time for the Tigers to play zone.
- LSU DEFENSIVE PREPARATION:Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott, primarily the Bulldogs’ “running quarterback,” scrambles for a 28-yard touchdown on the opening drive and someone on the LSU defense was surprised? It never should have happened. There is nothing about Mississippi State that should surprise anyone, because the last time we checked no one confuses coach Dan Mullen with South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.
Pierce W. Huff