Chicken and Sour Cream Enchiladas
Makes 12-14 (8-inch) tortillas. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
1 (16-oz.) carton sour cream
2 (10¼-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
1 (4-oz.) can mild green chilies, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
12 ozs. grated Cheddar cheese
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 chicken, boiled, deboned and diced
Pinch of black pepper and cayenne, optional
12 to 14 flour tortillas
1. Combine sour cream, soup, chilies, onion and 1⁄3 of each kind of cheese. Mix and set sauce aside.
2. Combine ½ of the sauce, the diced chicken and half of the remaining cheese. Season with added pepper if desired. Mix and set filling aside.
3. Steam the tortillas according to package directions or if the tortillas are very fresh, roll them without steaming first.
4. Place a small amount of the filling mixture on one edge and roll up. Place seam side down in 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole sprayed with nonstick coating. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas. Make sure all tortillas are covered with sauce to prevent drying out. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
5. Bake in preheated 325 F oven for 20 minutes or until bubbly.