Carol Anne Blitzer
April 10, 2013
Makes about 80. Recipe adapted by Carol Anne Blitzer from a recipe from the late Sylvia Elgutter Weiss.
2 medium onions
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch parsley
1½ sticks butter or ¾ cup kosher margarine or rendered chicken fat
5 to 51/2 cups matzo meal
3 cups chicken broth
2 tsps. salt
2 tsps. red pepper
1. In a food processor, finely chop onions, green onions and parsley.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté vegetables until starting to turn slightly brown. Place green seasonings in a large bowl. Add matzo meal, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Beat eggs and add to mixture in bowl. Combine well. Cover and place in refrigerator for several hours.
4. Roll into balls about the size of a walnut. Place on baking sheets in the freezer. When matzo balls are frozen, move to reclosable bags.
5. To serve, bring a large pot of water to a strong boil. Add frozen matzo balls. Let water come back up to a boil and cook until matzo balls are hot through the center, about 30 minutes. Gently remove to a serving bowl.
Note: I do not boil my matzo balls in the soup. They can disintegrate and ruin the soup.