Tilapia on Arugula With Béarnaise Sauce
Serves 2. Recipe is by Corinne Cook. The fish can be pan sautéed as in this recipe or simply seasoned, brushed with olive oil and grilled. The béarnaise sauce makes more than you will need for these two servings. Use remainder in other dishes.
2 tilapia filets
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 tbl. butter
1 tbl. olive oil
2 cups fresh baby arugula or substitute with fresh baby spinach
Blender B é arnaise Sauce:
2 egg yolks
1 tbl. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. dried tarragon leaves (or 1 tsp. fresh tarragon leaves)
1 tsp. tarragon vinegar (sherry vinegar can be substituted)
¾ cup hot melted butter
1½ tbls. fresh parsley, minced
1 tbl. capers, drained and mashed
1. Rinse fish under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. In medium skillet, melt butter and olive oil and pan sauté fish until cooked through.
3. Béarnaise sauce: Place 2 egg yolks in blender container. Add lemon juice, dried or fresh tarragon and the tarragon vinegar. Pulse “on” and “off” for 2 seconds to mix.
4. With blender at high speed, very slowly add the hot melted butter in a slow, steady stream. When emulsified and just lightly thickened, remove to bowl and fold in freshly snipped parsley and mashed capers. If you have to reheat: over low heat continuously stir until just saucy. Remove from heat and serve.
5. To assemble: Spread desired amount of arugula on dinner plate, top with fish and spoon desired amount of sauce over fish. Use leftover sauce for another meal.