Chicken in Cranberry-Cherry Brine
Makes about 12 cups brine. Recipe is from Ocean Spray.
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 tbl. dried parsley
1/4 tbl. dried thyme
1/2 tbl. dried bay leaf
1/2 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
4 cups water
3 cups cranberry cherry juice drink
2 cups red wine
1 (3½-lb.) whole chicken, giblets removed, rinsed
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Make brine: Add boiling water, brown sugar, salt, herbs and pepper to a large stock pot. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve. Add the remaining water, juice and red wine; mix well.
3. Submerge the chicken in brine; use a pan cover to hold the chicken under the brine if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
4. Remove chicken from brine and drain well; pat dry. Discard the brine.
5. Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle top of chicken with dried herbs and place in greased pan. Bake the chicken for 45 to 50 minutes or until juices run clear. Serve; refrigerate leftovers.