Makes 24 to 26 filled cookies. Recipe is from King Arthur Flour.
For the cookies:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fiori di Sicilia extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
Coarse white sparkling sugar, for coating
For the filling:
11/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
6 tbls. unsalted butter
1 to 2 tsps. grated lemon peel
1 to 2 tsps. grated orange peel
Colored sparkling sugar or sprinkles, for coating
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
2. Beat together the butter, sugar, salt and fiori di Sicilia until creamy. Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
4. Shape teaspoon-sized balls of dough and roll in sparkling sugar. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake the cookies until they’re just beginning to brown along the edges, 16 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
6. To make the filling, beat all the ingredients together until light and fluffy.
7. To assemble, sandwich a 1/4-inch-thick layer of filling between two cookies and roll the filling edge in colored sugar or sprinkles.