Yummy Cabbage Sloppy Joes
Serves 8. Recipe is by Rori Coyne, 12, of Kansas. “We were making dinner one night, and Mom had a lot of cabbage, which I wasn’t sure I liked,” Coyne said. “She also had lean ground beef, which I love. Mom showed me how to make cabbage, beef and a bunch of other vegetables taste better than a package (of sloppy joes).” Yummy Cabbage Sloppy Joes were served as the main course at the Kids State Dinner on Aug. 20.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium zucchini, shredded or diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
11/2 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 cup tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1 tbl. brown sugar
2 tbls. lemon juice
1 tbl. white vinegar
1 tbl. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbl. mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
8 sandwich rolls, split
1. In a large skillet, cook the beef until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain the fat from the skillet and set the meat aside.
2. In the same pan over medium heat, cook the onion, zucchini, celery, red pepper and cabbage until all the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add the cooked beef to the pan and stir to combine.
3. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour the sauce into the pan with the beef and vegetables and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 8 minutes.
4. While the sloppy joes are simmering, toast the buns in the oven or toaster oven.
5. Evenly divide the mixture among the toasted bun bottoms, top with the other halves and serve.