Red Velvet Cake Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen. Recipe is from Young Chefs Academy.
For the cookies:
11⁄3 cups flour
2 tbls. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tbls. buttermilk
2 tsps. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Once combined, add the dry ingredients. Mix throughly until combined.
4. Scoop the batter onto baking sheets in well-rounded tablespoonsfuls. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should be cake-like and light. Cool on the pan for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.
2. Spread the frosting onto a cooled cookie and top with the second cookie.