Bandy’s Homemade Ice Cream
Makes about 3 pints. Recipe is from Carol Anne Blitzer’s grandmother, the late Rose Millstein Lopoo, who lived in Natchez, Miss., and at Forest Plantation in Concordia Parish.
1 qt. whole milk
1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
1 tbl. cornstarch
1 tbl. pure vanilla extract
1. In a large, heavy saucepan, combine whole milk and evaporated milk. Scald milk by bringing it just up to the boiling point on medium heat.
2. Beat eggs and add sugar and cornstarch. Slowly pour into milk mixture, stirring as you pour.
3. Over medium to medium-low heat, gently stir milk mixture until it thickens, about 20 minutes. Add vanilla and stir well.
4. Remove from heat. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
5. Stir well and pour into ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.