May 24, 2012
Makes 8 to 10 tacos. Recipe is by Helana Brigman.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbl. cornstarch
1 tsp. coarse salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 lb. tilapia fillets (fresh if you have it)
Olive oil, for greasing pan
8 to 10 flour tortillas
1 avocado, cubed
2 to 3 limes, cut into wedges
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
Sour cream, to garnish
1. In an oversized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Toss mixture with tilapia fillet one at a time and set aside.
2. Warm a nonstick skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil for each fillet. Add tilapia to pan (do not overcrowd) and pan roast for about five minutes or until bottom is gold and crispy. Flip fish and cook for another three minutes or until gold and crispy on other side.
3. Transfer cooked fish to a cutting board and slice into 1-inch thick pieces. Add to taco bar with garnishes.
4. Warm flour tortillas in skillet with nonstick spray and any remaining oil from fish. Toast on each side 30 seconds each and transfer to taco bar.
5. Prepare tacos by stacking fish with any choice of garnishes.
Makes 8 to 10 tacos.