Serves 8. Recipe is from Anna Ozio, who says this recipe was inspired by her Granny, Yvonne Ozio.
1/2 cup butter
2 tbls. flour
3 (10.5-oz.) cans beef broth
4 tbls. red wine, optional
2 to 3 bay leaves
2 tbls. thyme or oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the topping:
8 slices of French bread
Parmesan, Swiss or Provolone cheese
1. Slice onions very thin. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add onions and flour. Slowly cook over medium heat until they are tender and start to caramelize.
2. Add the beef broth, wine, herbs and seasonings. Cover and simmer.
3. Place bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until light brown. Rub the garlic cloves on one side of the bread for added flavor.
4. Ladle soup into oven-proof bowls. Float one piece of bread on top of each bowl, then cover with cheese.
5. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.