Mediterranean Vegetable Tart
Makes 16 appetizer servings or 8 entree servings.
2 tbls. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed (4 cups)
2 tbls. tomato paste
2 tbls. white wine
1 (12-oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
3 tbls. chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup golden raisins
Salt and ground black pepper
1 (17.3-oz.) pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed (each package contains 2 pastry sheets)
1/2 cup grated ricotta salata or feta cheese
2 tbls. pine nuts
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the eggplant and cook until softened, about 8 to 9 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste and wine, then add to the pan. Add the roasted red peppers, oregano and raisins. Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. On a lightly floured counter, roll out each pastry sheet to a rough circle 12 inches in diameter. Place each pastry sheet on one of the prepared baking sheets. Spoon half of the filling into the center of each pastry, leaving 2 inches uncovered around the edges.
5. Fold the 2-inch edge of the pastry up over of the filling. Sprinkle the exposed filling with the cheese and pine nuts. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the pastries are golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Nutrition information per serving (based on 16 servings; values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 200 calories; 110 calories from fat (54 percent of total calories); 12 grams fat (4 grams saturated; 0 grams trans fats); 5 milligrams cholesterol; 19 grams carbohydrate; 4 grams protein; 2 grams fiber; 300 milligrams sodium.