STUFF THE BUS
- WHAT: School supply drive, Stuff the Bus Campaign, hosted by WBRZ News 2
- WHEN: 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 16
- WHERE: Office Depot, 3116 College Drive, Baton Rouge, and 703 N. Airline Highway, Gonzales
- INFORMATION: WBRZ.com
- DETAILS: Help fill school buses with school supplies, such as pencils, pens, construction paper, composition notebooks, color pencils, markers, rulers, scissors, index cards, glue sticks and spiral notebooks. Raising Cane’s will also be collecting donations of school supplies at the greater Baton Rouge area restaurants through July 15. Those who donate school supplies at Raising Cane’s will receive a free 22-ounce freshly squeezed lemonade or drink.
- WHAT: One Community One School District parent group meeting
- WHEN: 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 16
- WHERE: East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd.
- DETAILS: The group will discuss the effects of redistricting on the East Baton Rouge Parish School System.
- WHAT: Author Sam Irwin will lecture and sign copies of his book, “Louisiana Crawfish: A Succulent History of the Cajun Crustacean,” hosted by the Foundation for Historical Louisiana
- WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, July 31. Reception begins at 6 p.m.
- WHERE: Old Governor’s Mansion, 502 North Blvd.
- ADMISSION: Free for FHL members; $10 for guests
- INFORMATION: Visit fhl.org
- DETAILS: Irwin, a native of Breaux Bridge, will present a multimedia presentation on crawfish, which he says were introduced to Louisiana by the swamp dwellers of the Atchafalaya Basin and is now a $210 million industry. His book will be available for purchase before and after the presentation. Refreshments will be provided by Calandro’s Fine Wines and Select Cellars, beginning at 6 p.m.
- WHAT: Capital Area CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) Association orientation sessions for adults, particularly men and African Americans
- WHEN: Various times and dates
- WHERE: CASA office, 848 Louisiana Ave., Baton Rouge
- INFORMATION: To find a session date or learn more about the program, visit casabr.org, call (225) 379-8598 or email email@example.com
- DETAILS: CASA volunteers advocate for abused and neglected youth living in foster care. Orientation sessions last 45 minutes. The next volunteer training class starts Sept. 9.