The Watoto Children’s Choir, which has traveled here from Africa, will be giving several free performances of “Beautiful Africa: A New Generation” in the area.
The choir acts as Watoto ambassadors to raise awareness about the plight of the orphaned and vulnerable children of Africa. Watoto is a holistic child-care solution initiated to serve the dire needs of Africa and its people.
Each of the children in the choir has suffered the loss of one or both parents. They are cared for in Watoto Children’s Villages.
“Through the choir’s Concert of Hope, we share a message of transformation by telling the story of Africa’s rescued orphans and women. We hope to reach out to audiences with the message of Christ’s healing power,” says Gary Skinner, Watoto founder.
With its energetic fusion of contemporary gospel and traditional African rhythm, the choir has traveled internationally since 1994 as ambassadors for the millions of children in Africa, orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS, war and poverty.
Since its inception, 64 choirs have traveled globally, providing the children with a bigger world view, an unusual opportunity they would otherwise never get.
The choirs have been to Australia, Brazil, China, Europe, Hong Kong, Japan, Germany, France and the U.S, among others. Their audiences have included royalty, presidents, ministers, and the ordinary person, capturing many hearts wherever they go.
Performances in the area include:
- Saturday, March 29, Arise Conference at Our Savior’s Church, 1201 E. Broussard Road, Lafayette;
- 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Sunday, March 30, Our Savior’s Church, Broussard campus, 655 Louisiana 96, Broussard;
- 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 2, Opelousas High School, 1014 Judson Walsh Drive, Opelousas;
- 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 2, Bethany World Prayer Center, 10877 Reiger Road, Baton Rouge;
- 12:30 p.m., Friday, April 4, Westminster Christian Academy, 186 Westminster Drive, Opelousas;
- Saturday, April 5, Joie de Vivre Women’s Conference, 150 Verona Drive, Lafayette;
- 9 a.m. and 11 a.m., Sunday, April 6, Crossroads Church/Joie de Vivre Women’s Conference, 150 Verona Drive, Lafayette.