- WHAT: Companion Animal Alliance’s first ’70s-themed adoption event.
- WHEN: 2-4 p.m. Sunday, April 6.
- WHERE: Petz Plaza, 4763 Perkins Road.
- INFORMATION: facebook.com/companionanimalalliance, click on “events” tab.
- DETAILS: CAA will bring animals that need to be adopted. There will be a raffle of items donated by Petz Plaza, Marsh Dog, Neighborhood Pet Market, The Buddy Loft, Varsity Sports and LUSH cosmetics. Raffle tickets are $1, and all proceeds benefit CAA. A local veterinarian and Larry the Dog Trainer will answer animal health and obedience questions. Frankie’s Dawg House food truck will be selling hot dogs and more. To learn more about CAA, visit caabr.org.
AFRICAN VIOLET SHOW
- WHAT: The Dixie African Violet Society Flower Show & Sale.
- WHEN: Sale is 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and show is 1-5 p.m. Friday, April 11; sale 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 12. (Show ends at 4 p.m. Saturday.)
- WHERE: Marriott Hotel, 5500 Hilton Ave.
- ADMISSION/INFO: Free. Visit davs.org.
- DETAILS: The theme of the show is Laissez Les Bon Temps Roule. The flower show includes exhibits of African Violets and others plants and designs using violets. Commercial vendors will offer plants for sale.
- WHAT: Michael Marshall, author and retired New Orleans Police Department detective and sergeant, will speak on “Gallant Creoles.”
- WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 10. Reception starts at 6 p.m.
- WHERE: Old Governor’s Mansion, 502 North Blvd.
- ADMISSION: $10; free for FHL members. Preregistration is encouraged. Visit fhl.org or call (225) 387-2464.
- DETAILS: Presented by the Foundation for Historical Louisiana, Marshall’s presentation is based on his book, “Gallant Creoles: A History of the Donaldsonville Cannoniers,” which focuses on a militia of Cajun and Creole citizens who were the most active and highly regarded units in the Civil War. He will discuss the lives and struggles of these soldiers. Calandro’s Select Cellars and Fine Wines will host the reception.
- WHAT: Tag sale by the Friends of Magnolia Mound.
- WHEN: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 12.
- WHERE: Magnolia Mound Plantation back gate entrance, 2200 Iowa St.
- INFORMATION: (225) 343-4955.
- DETAILS: Items to be sold include glassware, crystal, handmade pottery, art, books, framed prints, planters, old tools, oriental rugs, wicker furniture, cast-iron pots and baking pieces, frames, china, furniture and much more. Cash, check, MasterCard and Visa accepted
DENIM & DIAMONDS
- WHAT: The Louisiana Chapter of JDRF’s 13th Annual Denim & Diamonds, “Derby After Dark,” Gala & Auction fundraiser.
- WHEN: 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26.
- WHERE: Property of Dan and Carolyn Heard, 18850 Perkins Road East.
- INFORMATION/TICKETS: https://jdrf-louisiana.ejoinme.org/home or call (225) 932-9511.
- DETAILS: Diabetes research fundraiser with live and silent auctions and food from some of Baton Rouge’s best restaurants. JDRF is the leading global organization funding type 1 diabetes research.
- WHAT: Hospice of Acadiana’s A Chance to Make A Difference raffle.
- WHEN: Tickets on sale until raffle on June 13.
- TICKETS/INFO: $20. Visit hfacadiana.com. Tickets are also available at Hospice of Acadiana, 2600 Johnston St., Lafayette, or by calling (337) 232-1234; all Home Bank Acadiana locations; Gauthier’s RV Center and Sterling Automotive Group.
- DETAILS: First prize is a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE donated by Sterling Automotive Group. Second prize is a 2014 KZ Sportsmen Camper donated by Gauthiers’ RV Center. The funds raised are used for Hospice of Acadiana to provide care to indigent patients, educational programming and funding for The Center for Loss and Transition. These services are provided free to families in Acadiana.
- WHAT: Softball Coed Tournament to benefit the March of Dimes.
- WHEN: 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, April 12-13.
- WHERE: Erwinville Recreation Park, 5110 Rougon Road, Port Allen.
- ENTRY FEE: $200 per team. Deadline is Tuesday, April 8. Call Gertrude Anderson at (225) 610-9441 or (225) 270-3623.
- DETAILS: The tournament is to benefit the March of Dimes for TEAM K.J.