The Friends of Hilltop Arboretum is holding a new design program, “Garden Design Tips, Ideas and Inspiration,” for the next two months.
The program will be held from 9 a.m. to noon on Thursday mornings — Feb. 13, 20, 27 and March 13, 20, 27 — at the LSU Hilltop Arboretum Imogene Newsom Brown Education Facility.
Cost of the program is $285 (which includes $35 membership for Friends of Hilltop Arboretum) and $250 for members.
The program will feature landscape architects Neil Odenwald and Van Cox, who will offer inspiring design tips and ideas to create your own garden plans. Through interactive activities students will learn to use:
- Basic design principles, which are the building blocks for creating a garden plan.
- Simple drawing techniques for expressing design ideas.
- Photography to build a digital library of garden features.
- Garden tours as a source of design inspiration.
- Native and adapted plants;
- European and U.S. garden history for inspiration.
- Garden accessories, structures, water and sculpture.
- Design vocabulary to present your ideas.
Course materials included in fee are “Plants for American Landscapes” by Neil G. Odenwald, Charles F. Fryling and Thomas E. Pope; a design sketchbook, pencils, drawing pencil and pink pearl eraser.
To register online, visit firstname.lastname@example.org or lsu.edu/hilltop, or by phone at (225) 767-6916.