- WHAT: Kwanzaa Celebration.
- WHEN: 4 p.m. Saturday.
- WHERE: Southern University Cotillion Ballroom.
- ADMISSION: Free
- DETAILS: To promote awareness, unity and youth development, the Africentric Focus/ Maat Study Group is hosting its 25th annual Kwanzaa celebration, part of the weeklong festivities around the globe commemorating the heritage and achievements of African Americans. The holiday was created in 1966 by Maulana Karenga, chair of the Department of Black Studies at California State University in Long Beach, Calif. It is celebrated Dec. 26 through Jan. 1. The local Kwanzaa celebration will feature poetry, music and a keynote address by Mwalimu Baruti.
- WHAT: Join Louisiana Public Broadcasting for tea and pastries and then a special preview of the first hour of season 4 of “Downton Abbey.”
- WHEN: Saturday — Tea begins at 2 p.m.; screening at 3 p.m.
- WHERE: Manship Theatre, 100 Lafayette St.
- TICKETS: $75; lpb.org.
- DETAILS: Gather a group of friends and be the first to see the most popular series on LPB in the last two decades.
WHITE HALL CHRISTMAS
- WHAT: White Hall Plantation Holiday Open House.
- WHEN: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
- WHERE: White Hall Plantation House and Gardens, 17523 La. 418, Lettsworth.
- TICKETS: $20 at the door. No credit cards.
- INFORMATION: (225) 492-2110.
- DETAILS: This is the first time the Greek revival and Italianate plantation home in the English portion of Pointe Coupee Parish will hold an open house. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Funds collected will be used for the restoration.