You can call Patty Heath the Lafayette Ballet Theatre’s costume elf.
- This time of year, Heath is busy tweaking tutus and more for the troupe’s annual holiday production of “The Nutcracker.”
- “My mom is the costume department. She’s it. She has a couple of seamstresses that work underneath her, but she designs and creates and executes every costume, says Heath’s daughter, Shannon Heath, who is LBT’s co-artistic director. “This year we have completely changed the Spanish Variation (a dance in the show). We always change costumes. That seems to change the look of the performance, and that’s important if you want it to be fresh each year.”
Mitzi Heath is co-directing the show, which is in its 13th year, with her sister.
“We’ve added different guest artists in different areas, also,” Shannon Heath says. “We know that each time you put a new cast into the roles, the ballet takes on a completely different personality and a different look.”
Reprising their roles, however, are guest artists Karel Cruz and Lindsi Dec, of the Pacific Northwest Ballet of Seattle. The husband-and-wife team will again dance the roles of the Nutcracker Prince and the Sugar Plum Fairy.
The youngest performers in the 150-member cast are 8 years old, and they’ll be the angels, Shannon Heath said. They’ll be joined on stage by the rest of the Acadiana-area children in the cast and LBT’s professional company dancers.
There will be many special guests in the audience on Saturday night, Shannon Heath says.
“We give about 150 tickets away to children and their families currently seeking assistance in area shelters. It’s called ‘A Night at the Ballet,’” Shannon Heath says. “It brings in children who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity to attend the ballet. We’re very glad to be a part of this.”
The nonprofit ballet company and arts education outreach organization raises money through its annual “Land of the Sweets” fundraiser, which happens immediately after the Sunday matinee (about 4 p.m.) in the Heymann Convention Center behind the theater. Guests can have coffee and soft drinks while sampling hors d’oeuvres and sweets from area restaurants.
Stars of “The Nutcracker” will be on hand for photos and autographs. Tickets to “Land of the Sweets” are $20, and also available at the Heymann box office.
The cast also includes:
- LAFAYETTE: Adeline Aillet, Katherine Ashurst, Genevieve Barton, Julianna Barton, Elizabeth Beaullieu, John Mitchell Benz, Victoria Black, Elise Blalock, Mattie Brown, Lauren Boudreaux, Lia Bu, Catherine Cain, Grace Campo, Adleigh Caldwell, Molly Campbell, Nina Castille, Sam Castille, Blair Cestia, Caitlin Coles, Elizabeth Crouch, Emily Dore, Katherine Doucet, Milo Eakins, Alyssa Ewing, Caroline Forest, Elizabeth Fuselier, Alexandra Gjertson, Avery Guidry, Sophia Guillory, Caroline Heinen, Ellen Heinen, Emily Heinen, Aerin Higginbotham, Isabelle Hilton (Clara, Sunday), Kate Kaufman, Anna Lantier, Avery Lemaire, Grace Levert, Isabelle Lewis, Julianne Llewellyn, Emma Long, Sophie Luciano, Natalie MacDougall, Juliane Mahoney, Tracey Mandella, Paige Manuel, Gabrielle Marino, Victoria Marino, Victoria Marshall, Madeleine Martin, Ada McClure, Margaret Miller, Caroline Mitchell, Millie Moncla, Anna Paddock, Emme Pagelson, Linzi Paul, Alex Piasecki, Emily Pologruto, Lainey Gleason Pritts, Caroline Rader, Virginia Rader, Lauren Reedy, Gabrielle Reeves, Baylee Ridgedell, Bailey Romero, Max Ross, Elizabeth Rupe, Erin Sturm, Sophia Tabchouri, Mary-Alice Talbot, Elise Theriot, Emma Theunissen, Zoe Sasser, Hailey Scadlock, Rachel Schwartzenburg, Anna Stansbury (Clara, Saturday), Emily Street, Carah Stuart, Hailey Stuart, Madeleine Tabchouri, Caroline Toups, Virginia Vascocu, Jillian Verzwyvelt, Natalia Vincente, Emily Wu, Emma Young, Savannah Ziz.
- CARENCRO: Autumn Bergeron, Alyssa Rushing, Ana Castille, Rebecca Escott, Rheanna Fontenot, Abby Leger, Ava Sorlie
- SCOTT: Mizzy Arceneaux, Dallas Brister, Lauren Franques, Leah Franques, Bella Holmes
- DUSON: Ruth Gary
- BROUSSARD: Ellie Bond
- YOUNGSVILLE: Cecelia Day, Emily Day, Katie Domingue, Gianna Ferrazzano, Sophie Flores, Avery-Grace Hebert, Camryn Hebert, Madeleine Krauss, Katie Lamkin, Aubrey Landry, Danielle Landry, Alexandria Morgans, Katelyn Musumeche, Kimmy Musumeche, Gabrielle Padilla, Camille Reaux, Ruthanne Reaux, Atley Troxclair
- CROWLEY: Anna-Kate Hebert, Caroline Kelley, Caroline Wild
- RAYNE: Evelyn Bercier
- EUNICE: Lily Stearns
- IOTA: Nevada Rogerson
- RAYNE: Ella Cantrell
- NEW IBERIA: Victoria Watson
- DELCAMBRE: Kelsi Dubois
- BREAUX BRIDGE: Hannah Broussard, Sydney Grider, Mara Meaux, Alexandra Pellerin, Pablo Pellerin
- EUNICE: Lily Stearns
- OPELOUSAS: April Pruitt
- SUNSET: Alanna Hoffpauir
- WASHINGTON: Valerie Saucier
- ABBEVILLE: Lilly Cao, Niles Comeaux, Ajah Len Cox, Gabby Duhon, Emma Sonnier
- ERATH: Celia Vallot
- HOUSTON, TEXAS: Bethany Buller Lail