Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer the following service and event:
- Counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems will be from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
- The Parenting Center will hold ongoing parenting classes and workshops for parents, teachers and community groups.
The classes and workshops will focus on child development, strategies for effective parenting and methods to promote healthy emotional growth in children. Call (225) 924-0123.
Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Louisiana, 647 Main St., will help unemployed or under-employed women connect to a better paying job from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday at the office. Call (225) 308-0220.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office. Call (225) 927-9810.
Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center will offer the following events:
- MBP-OLOL will hold a free breast cancer screening from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way. Appointments are required. For more information, call (225) 215-1234 or visit http://www.marybird.com/olol.
- CancerFit, a comprehensive wellness program designed to keep cancer patients active and mentally fit, will be from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday at Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, 4950 Essen Lane.
Each session is free and includes an hour of individualized yoga and guided meditation.
For more information or to register, call (225) 938-9629.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4939 Jamestown Ave., Suite 101, will offer the following events:
- A grief support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the office.
- A grief support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 14040 Greenwell Springs Road.
- A grief support group for adults will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, 1125 W. La. 30, Gonzales.
- Grief Share, a faith-based, nondenominational grief support group, will meet from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the center. Workbooks are available.
- All support groups are free and confidential. Private counseling sessions are available. Call (225) 924-6621 or visit http://www.grcbr.org.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- Digestive & Urinary Cancers Support Group will meet at noon Monday at the office.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:15 p.m. Wednesday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the office.
- Oral, Head & Neck Cancers Support Group will meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
- Young Adult Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
- “Zumba Gold” will be at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Lung Cancer Support Group will meet at noon Friday at the office.
Call (225) 927-2273.
Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class. A physician’s release is required.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- Woman’s Ideal Protein Seminar will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway. The free event is for men and women. Call (225) 924-8313
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Basics of Breastfeeding and Pump Pointers” will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday at the Woman’s Center for Wellness. The class is for women only and costs $20.
- “Body Basics for Girls,” a puberty class for girls, ages 9-12, will be from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the hospital, conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $15.
Call (225) 231-5475 or visit http://www.womans.org.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. Call (225) 924-1431.
Spinal cord support
Baton Rouge Rehab Hospital, 8595 United Plaza Blvd., will host a Spinal Cord Support Group meeting from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday at the hospital. The group is for survivors and their caregivers.
Anita Gray, 2013 Ms. Wheelchair Louisiana, will share her experiences from the past 13 years in “Achieving Success through Independent Living.” Chef Mike Noonan will provide lunch.
To RSVP, call (225) 231-3123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, Suite A, will offer the following event and opportunity:
- A Grief Support Group will meet at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane.
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient care, pet care, office work and events. Call (225) 767-4673.
Community Grief Support Group will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services, 550 Lobdell Ave. For more information, call (225) 927-2273.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events:
- Caregiver network groups, for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, will meet from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the office; and 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at PACE of Baton Rouge, 7436 Bishop Ott Drive.
- A Lunch-N-Learn session on “Male Caregivers” will be from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
The program and lunch are free, but registration is required by calling (225) 334-7494.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Re-Certification Class will be from 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave. Cost is $45 per person.
- “Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program,” a free class of healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location. To register, call (225) 763-4050.
- “Breastfeeding Basics” will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Cost is $30 per couple, which includes refreshments. To register, visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
- Weight Loss Surgery Seminar will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebonnet location, conference rooms 1 and 2.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Re-Certification Class will be from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Mid City location. Cost is $175 per person. To register, call (225) 381-6602.
For more information, visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
Peoples Health will hold the following free events:
- “Aqua Zumba” will be at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday at the YMCA C.B. Pennington Jr., 15550 Old Hammond Highway. The deadline to make a reservation is Monday.
- “Silver Ball Fitness” will be at 8 a.m. Thursday at P.A.R.D.S., 30372 Eden Church Road, Denham Springs. The deadline to make a reservation is Wednesday.
For more information or to register, call 1-866-220-0418 or visit http://myhealth.peopleshealth.com.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Resthaven Swan Room, 11817 Jefferson Highway.
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16, Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Sarcoidosis Awareness Support Group of Greater Baton Rouge will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Ochsner Health Center, 9001 Summa Ave., third-floor conference room.
Dr. Claude Tellis, pulmonologist at Ochsner Health Center, will answer medical questions. Call (225) 773-0985.
ABC Adoption Search and Reunion Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Trinity Episcopal Church, 3552 Morning Glory Ave. Call (225) 752-3162.
The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation will hold its first monthly support group meeting for those new to and those who have been dealing with Type 1 diabetes at 10 a.m. Wednesday at LaMadeleine, on Jefferson Highway, in the Bocage Shopping Center.
The meeting will include candid discussions with those who have experience with Type 1 diabetes on how to get through challenging situations.
For more information, visit http://louisiana.jdrf.org or call (225) 932-9511 or (225) 975-1188.
Court Appointed Special Advocates, 848 Louisiana Ave., will hold a 45-minute informational session on becoming a CASA volunteer at noon Wednesday at the office. The group’s mission is to advocate for timely placement of children in permanent, safe and stable homes.
Call (225) 379-8598 or visit http://www.casabr.org.
American Cancer Society will train volunteers for its Reach to Recovery Program at 9 a.m. Thursday at 10528 Kentshire Court.
The program matches volunteers who are breast cancer survivors with newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to help the patients with their emotional, physical and cosmetic needs related to the disease.
Volunteers must be at least one year post-treatment for breast cancer and be emotionally stable, have knowledge of personal ethics, maintain confidentiality and participate in ongoing training updates.
To volunteer or for more information, call 1-800-227-2345 or visit http://www.cancer.org.
East Baton Rouge Parish Zachary Branch Library, 1900 Church St., will hold the class, “Introduction to Yoga for Women @ the Library” at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at the library.
A certified yoga instructor from Fitness Design for Women will give a demonstration of yoga exercises and discuss the benefits of yoga.
The class is for women only and requires registration. To register, call (225) 658-1840.
3 Lives Blood Drive
Remington College Baton Rouge campus, 10551 Coursey Blvd., will hold a 3 Lives Blood Drive from 8:45 a.m. to noon and 5 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. Thursday on campus. 3 Lives is a national effort to recruit minority blood donors, who are in high demand, and help supply local hospitals with blood. African-American blood donors provide blood with unique antigens vital for people battling sickle cell and other life-threatening diseases.
The effort is held in partnership with America’s Blood Centers and the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America.
For more information, visit http://www.3Lives.com.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday.
Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
Alanon Family Groups, a 12-step program for those affected by someone’s drinking problem, meets daily in the Baton Rouge area. For more information, call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Baton Rouge, 1900 S. Acadian Thruway, will offer the following services:
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Baton Rouge Maternity Services offers services for pregnant women choosing life regardless of their decision to parent or place the child for adoption.
Services include helping set goals, connecting with education and job services, locating medical care, finding food resources, counseling and more.
All services are free, confidential and open to all women. Call (225) 336-8708.
- Catholic Charities offers professional, low-cost counseling to individuals, couples and families of all faiths by licensed clinical social workers at six locations in the Baton Rouge area.
Evening appointments are available. Sliding scale fees are based on income. Some insurance companies are accepted. Call (225) 336-8708.