Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- “After Baby Comes (ABC): Baby Care and Parent Care,” a hands-on class about baby care, recovery and “baby blues,” will be from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday at the hospital, conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35 per couple.
- Baby & You Orientation Tour will be from 1:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Sunday at the hospital, Conference Room 2. The tour is free.
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class. A physician’s release is required.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Kegels: What You Need to Know about Your Pelvic Floor” will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway. Cost is $30. Register by calling (225) 924-8709.
- “Breastfeeding Tips for Moms On-the-Go” will be from 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Friday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $20.
- “Special Delivery,” a class about the labor process and options available for dealing with labor and birth pains, will be from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35 per couple.
Call (225) 231-5475 or visit http://www.womans.org.
The following HIV services will be offered:
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office. Call (225) 927-9810.
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington St. Syphilis testing will be from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Metro Health will also offer HIV testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.; and 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue. Call (225) 338-9333.
- YWCA Greater Baton Rouge, 8281 Goodwood Blvd., Suite B-1, will offer free HIV testing from 9 a.m. to noon and 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday at the office. Walk-ins and appointments are welcome. Call (225) 383-0681.
Huntington’s Disease Support Group will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Monday at the East Baton Rouge Parish Bluebonnet Regional Branch Library, 9200 Bluebonnet Blvd.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted.
The center also holds ongoing parenting classes and workshops for parents, teachers and community groups. The classes and workshops focus on child development, strategies for effective parenting and methods to promote healthy emotional growth in children.
Call (225) 924-0123.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- Brain Cancer Support Group will meet at noon Monday at the office.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:15 p.m. Wednesday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Survive DAT! Young Adult Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the office.
- Skin Cancer Support Group will meet at noon Wednesday at the office.
- After Hours Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
- “Zumba Gold” will be at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Caregiver Support Group will meet at noon Friday at the office.
Call (225) 927-2273.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events:
- Joint Success Seminar, a class on preparing for surgery, will be from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Monday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave., Conference Room 1. Call (225) 763-4298 to register.
- “Back to Health,” a free class on spine surgery, will be from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 1. Call (225) 763-4298 to register.
- Lymphedema Support Group will meet from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., conference rooms 1 and 2. Call (225) 763-4050 or email email@example.com to register for the free event.
- “Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program,” a free class of healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Mid City location and 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location. To register, call (225) 763-4050.
- Weight Loss Surgery Seminar will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Bluebonnet location, conference rooms 1 and 2. To register for the free event, visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Class will be from 8 a.m. to noon Thursday at the Mid City location. Cost is $45. To register, call (225) 381-6602.
- “Baby Care Basics” will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Cost is $30 per couple, which includes refreshments.
For more information or to register, visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events:
- Caregiver Network groups, for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday at the Iberville Parish Library, 24605 J. Gerald Berret Blvd., Plaquemine; 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday at the Denham Springs-Walker Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs; and 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at Florida Boulevard Baptist Church, 10915 Florida Blvd.
- A Lunch-N-Learn session on “Male Caregivers” will be from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday and May 19 at the office. The program and lunch are free, but registration is required by calling (225) 334-7494.
- “A Cause to Remember,” a free, one-hour information session on Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area’s programs and services, will be from noon to 1 p.m. Friday at the office. The session will include a light lunch and a tour of Charlie’s Place, an award-winning adult day respite center. Reservations are required by calling (225) 334-7494.
Community Grief Support Group will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services, 550 Lobdell Ave. For more information, call (225) 927-2273.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. Call (225) 924-1431.
Lane Regional Medical Center, 6300 Main St., Zachary, will hold a diabetes support group meeting from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at the center. It is open to those with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes along with their family and friends. For more information, call (225) 658-4583.
Our Lady of the Lake
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, 5000 Hennessy Blvd., will hold a Diabetes Education & Awareness Group meeting from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday in the main hospital auditorium. Chareze Wells, a registered nurse with the OLOL Diabetes & Nutrition Center, will speak on “Traveling with Diabetes.” For more information, call (225) 765-8020.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness Baton Rouge will hold the following meetings:
- Family to Family Support Group, for family members/caregivers of people with a mental illness, will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church, 3240 Dalrymple Drive.
- Connection Recovery Support Group, for those whose lives are affected by mental illness, will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church.
For more information, call (225) 273-6061 or (225) 291-6262.
Peoples Health will hold the following free events:
- “Zumba Gold” will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at the YMCA A.C. Lewis, 350 S. Foster Drive. Reservation deadline is Monday.
- “Silver Ball Fitness” will be at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at Bally Total Fitness, 10000 Perkins Rowe, Suite 100. Reservation deadline is Wednesday.
- Dr. Brian Schulte will speak on prostate health at noon Friday at Family Health Center, 3801 North Blvd., second floor. Reservation deadline is Wednesday.
For more information or to register, call 1-866-220-0418 or visit http://myhealth.peopleshealth.com.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Resthaven Swan Room, 11817 Jefferson Highway.
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16, Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Crescent City Surgical, 3017 Galleria Drive, Metairie, will hold a seminar, “It’s Your Knee, Help Keep It that Way,” from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the office. The event will feature Dr. R. William Junius, an orthopedic surgeon specializing in joint replacement, discussing a patient-specific knee replacement technology called iTotal, made by ConforMIS. To register, visit http://conta.cc/ZN8ecm.
St. Joseph Hospice
St. Joseph Hospice and its inpatient facility, The Carpenter House, will hold a bereavement support group meeting from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at Jefferson United Methodist Church, 10328 Jefferson Highway. For more information or to RSVP, call (225) 368-3117.
Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center will offer the following events:
- CancerFit, a comprehensive wellness program designed to help keep cancer patients active and mentally fit, will be held from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday at Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, 4950 Essen Lane. Each session is free and includes an hour of individualized yoga and guided meditation. For more information or to register, call (225) 938-9629.
- A free breast cancer screening will be offered from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, June 17, at Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way; appointments are required. For more information, call (225) 215-1234 or visit http://www.marybird.com/olol.
The Diabetic Food Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday. Screenings will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropaty screening. To schedule, call (225) 761-0025.
Court Appointed Special Advocates, 848 Louisiana Ave., will hold 45-minute informational session on becoming a CASA volunteer at 10 a.m. Saturday at the office.
Call (225) 379-8598 or visit http://www.casabr.org.
East Baton Rouge Parish Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road, will hold a presentation by Lorenzo Murphy on safeguarding ourselves from environmental risks and food additives that can endanger health at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. Registration is required by calling (225) 756-1180.
South La. Hospice
South Louisiana Hospice is looking for volunteers who can help in several areas, including reading, writing, hobbies, crafts, music, housekeeping, flowers and hairdressing. Call (225) 924-6830.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, Suite A, is seeking volunteers for patient care, pet care, office work and events. Call (225) 767-4673.
Alanon Family Groups, a 12-step program for those affected by someone’s drinking problem, meets daily in the Baton Rouge area. For more information, call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.