A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the office.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 14040 Greenwell Springs Road.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, 1125 W. La. 30, Gonzales.
All support groups are free and confidential.
For more information, call (225) 924-6621.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events:
- “Tour for Two (or more!),” a free tour of Baton Rouge General’s Birth Center, will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave., Conference Room 2. Call (225) 763-4281 to register.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, a free program on healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location. The event is free. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- Weight Loss Surgery Seminar will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet Picardy Plaza, 8490 Picardy Ave., Suite 600. To register for the free event, visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
- “Baby Care Basics” will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Cost is $30 per couple, which includes refreshments.
Visit http://www.brgeneral.org to register.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington St.. Syphilis testing will be from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Metro Health will also offer HIV testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.; 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue; and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at Delmont Service Center, 3535 Riley St. Call (225) 338-9333.
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office.
For more information, call (225) 927-9810.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events this week:
- A caregiver network group meeting for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia will be from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday at the Iberville Parish Library, 24605 J. Gerald Berret Blvd., Plaquemine; 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday at the Denham Springs-Walker Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs; 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the office; and 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at PACE of Baton Rouge, 7436 Bishop Ott Drive. Call (225) 334-7494.
- A Lunch-N-Learn session will be from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the office. The program will be on “Spiritual Support as Coping with Caregiving” with Katherine Schillings, LMSW, as presenter. The program and lunch are free, but registration is required.
Seating is limited. Call (225) 334-7494.
Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Woman’s Ideal Protein Seminar,” a free seminar on the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Program, will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Breastfeeding Tips for Moms On-the-Go” will be from 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Friday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $20.
- “Tyke Hyke,” a class designed to help 3-year-olds prepare for their new siblings, will be from 9 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $25 per child.
- “A Baby Is Coming,” a class designed to help big brothers and sisters learn about their new siblings’ arrival, will be from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $25 per child.
- “Doulas and Comfort Measures for Labor” will be from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $5 per couple.
- “Baby & You Orientation Tour,” a free tour of the hospital’s labor and birth suites, family waiting areas, Transition Nursery and more, will be from 1:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, at the hospital, Conference Room 2.
For more information or to register, call (225) 231-5475 or visit http://www.womans.org.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- Free grief support group sessions will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane; 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive; and at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Broadmoor United Methodist Church, 10230 Mollylea Drive, Adult Building, Room 104.
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance.
For more information, call (225) 767-4673.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Cost is $110.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED and Bloodborne Pathogens” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $110.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22, at the office. Cost is $90.
For more information or to register, call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Resthaven, Swan Room, 11817 Jefferson Highway.
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway), Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
The Baton Rouge Chapter Scleroderma Support Group will meet at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Latte E Miele Gelateria and Coffeehouse in The Settlement shopping center, 7809 Jefferson Highway.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
Sickle Cell Support Group will meet at noon Wednesday at the Baton Rouge Sickle Cell office, 2301 North Blvd. The meeting is open to adult clients and caregivers.
Dutch Physical Therapy, in conjunction with the Livingston Parish Library, will present a series of free seminars throughout January for “Spine Education Month.” This week’s seminar will feature Dr. Chambliss Harrod from The Spine Center of Baton Rouge and will be at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Denham Springs-Walker Branch Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs. Harrod will explain the surgical options available for managing unresolved pain.
To make reservations, call (225) 588-2068 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit http://www.DutchPT.com.
Cardinal Hospice, 8280 YMCA Plaza Drive, No. 3-A, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the office. The group is free and open to the public.
- The hospice is looking for volunteers to assist patients and their families, or work in the office.
Call (225) 291-3322.
ABC Adoption Search and Reunion Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Trinity Episcopal Church, 3552 Morning Glory Ave. Call (225) 752-3162.
Peoples Health will hold the following events this week:
- A lecture on “Diabetes and Foot Care” by Alex J. Davis will be at noon Wednesday at the Lake House Reception Center, 12323 Old Hammond Highway. Registration will start at 11 a.m. The deadline to register is Monday.
- A lecture on “Smoking Cessation” by Dr. Michael P. Guarisco will be at noon Friday at Stanocola Clinic, 12323 Old Hammond Highway. Registration will start at 11 a.m. The deadline to register is Wednesday.
To register, call 1-866-220-0418 or visit http://www.myhealth.peopleshealth.com.
The Baton Rouge Area Parkinson’s Disease Group will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd. Dr. Gerald J. Calegan from the NeuroMedical Center will be the guest speaker.
Topic will be “Parkinson’s Disease & Movement Disorders.” For more information, call (225) 933-0542 or (225) 756-2645.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday.
Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening.
Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
GBR Hope Academy
Greater Baton Rouge Hope Academy, 15333 Jefferson Highway, will hold a monthly Brown Bag Lunch Seminar at noon Friday at the office.
The free event will feature Don Hoppe, clinical psychologist, discussing “What Will Happen to Asperger’s? The New DSM-V Findings.” To RSVP, call (225) 293-0141.
Our Lady of Wisdom
Our Lady of Wisdom Healthcare Center, 5600 Gen. De Gaulle Drive, New Orleans, will host the “Wisdom and Wellness Fair” from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday at the center. Dr. Michal Jazwinski, director of Tulane’s Center for Aging, will be the featured speaker. Jazwinski will talk on “Genes, Aging and Public Health” at 3 p.m. A reception will follow his talk. The fair will also have presentations, exhibits, paid diagnostic screenings, door prizes and lunch. CVS will provide flu shots, and Blue Mountain College will provide complimentary massages. Lunch cost $6, but parking and admission are free. To preregister for diagnostic screenings to get a $10 discount, call 1-800-324-9458 or visit http://www.helpinghandsforhealth.com and enter code HSC5313. For more information, call (504) 304-5440 or email email@example.com.
The ALS Association Louisiana-Mississippi Chapter will host its 4th annual “Fire & Ice Gala” at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Renaissance Hotel, 7000 Bluebonnet Blvd. All proceeds from the gala will go to the fight against ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease).
It will feature cocktails, a visit from the honorary chairman, Paul Mainieri, head coach for the LSU baseball team, dinner, a tribute to PALS (persons living with ALS), a live and silent auction, and live music from Artemis.
This year’s honorees will be Kevin and Kim Kelty, Wright & Percy Insurance, the Credit Bureau of Baton Rouge Foundation and Avery Vodanovich. Tickets are $125 per individual, $225 per couple and $1,000 per table of 10. Sponsorships are also available. For tickets, call (225) 343-9880, ext. 2, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.alsalams.org.
Mary Bird Perkins
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center will offer a free breast cancer screening from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Saturday at Main’s Market, 82205 La. 25, Folsom. Appointments are required. For more information or to make an appointment, call (225) 215-1234 or visit http://www.marybird.org.
Amedisys Hospice (Baton Rouge) is looking for volunteers to care for patients with life-limiting illnesses and their family members. Volunteers can be direct patient volunteers, indirect patient volunteers, comfort cooks and bereavement volunteers. Call (225) 751-4599.
South La. Hospice
South Louisiana Hospice is looking for volunteers to help in the following areas: reading, writing, hobbies, crafts, music, housekeeping, flowers, hairdressing and more. Call (225) 924-6830.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential. Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.