Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave.
For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other local agencies, will meet at noon Thursday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave. The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will have free, confidential HIV test and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday. For more information, call (225) 927-9810.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events this week:
- “Zumba Gold” will meet at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at the BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
For more information, call (225) 927-2273.
Cardinal Hospice, 8280 YMCA Plaza Drive, No. 3-A, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office. The group is open to the public.
- Volunteers are needed to assist patients and their family members, or volunteer in the office.
Call (225) 291-3322.
Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave. The event is free.
Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway) in Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects.
Call (225) 291-9421.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday.
Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
The American Heart Association is seeking nominations from companies providing their employees with a culture of physical activity and health for the Fit-Friendly Workplace Award.
Applications are due by Jan. 31 and can be found at http://www.ffc.heart.org.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes this week:
- “Babysitting” will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday at the office. The two-day camp for ages 11 to 15 teaches lifesaving skills including first aid, CPR and caregiving. Cost is $140.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $90. Another class will be offered Saturday.
For more information or to register, call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance. Call (225) 767-4673.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential.
Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.