Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue) in Baton Rouge, will hold the following events:
- Woman’s Half Marathon will be at 7 a.m. Sunday at South River Road, between the Baton Rouge River Center and the USS Kidd in downtown Baton Rouge.
Registration is $25. Visit http://www.womanshalfmarathon.com.
- “Baby and You Orientation Tour,” will be offered from 1:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Sunday and from 6:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. and 8 p.m. or 9:15 p.m. Monday at hospital, Conference room 2.
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class. (225) 231-5475.
- Body Basics for Boys, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $15.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- Breastfeeding Tips for Mom On-the-Go, will be from 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Friday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $20 per class.
- Breastfeeding Basics, will be from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35.
To register or for information about classes, visit http://www.womans.org or call (225) 231-5475.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale.
Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted.
Call (225) 924-0123.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 East Washington St., Baton Rouge.
Hepatitis C and syphilis testing will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Metro Health will also offer testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave., Baton Rouge; and 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue.
For more information, call (225) 338-9333.
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer f ree, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office.
No needles and no blood are necessary, and results are ready in 20 minutes.
For more information, call (225) 927-9810.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold caregiver network group meetings for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday at Iberville Parish Library, 24605 J. Gerald Berret Blvd., Plaquemine. 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Denham Springs/Walker Library, 8101 U.S. 190; and 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Florida Boulevard Baptist Church, 10915 Florida Blvd., Baton Rouge.
Call (225) 334-7494.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events this week:
- Joint Success, will be from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Monday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave., Conference Rooms 1 and 2.
Call (225) 763-4298 to register.
- Back to Health, will be from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 1. Call (225) 763-4298 to register.
- Weight Loss Surgery Support Group, will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Conference Rooms 1 and 2. Call (225) 763-4242 to register.
- Lymphedema Support Group, will be from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Rooms 1 and 2. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- Weight Loss Surgery Seminar, will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Suite 600.
To register visit https://www.brgeneral.org.
- Baby Care Basics, will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Suite 600. $30 per couple.
To register visit https://www.brgeneral.org.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events this week:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:15 p.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- West Feliciana Parish Holiday Party will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at St. Francisville United Methodist church, 9866 Royal St., St. Francisville.
- Zumba Gold will meet at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at the BREC Independence Park.
- Ascension Parish Holiday Party will be held at 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at First United Methodist Church, 224 West Constitution St., Gonzales.
Call (225) 927-2273.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4919 Jamestown Ave., Suite 101, will offer “Celebration of Life” memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at Our Lady of Mercy Parish Activity Center, 445 Marquette Ave., Baton Rouge.
Bring a dish to share to the reception following the service. All support groups are free and confidential.
The Huntington’s Disease support group meets at 7 p.m. Monday at East Baton Rouge Parish Bluebonnet Branch Library, 9200 Bluebonnet Blvd.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd. in Baton Rouge, will hold the following classes:
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the office.
Another class is offered Saturday. Cost is $110.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $90.
- “CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 18 at the office. Cost is $110.
Call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
The Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center will hold the following free events this week:
- Breast cancer screening will be from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at LSU Mid-City Clinic, 1401 North Foster Drive, Baton Rouge. (225) 215-1234.
- CancerFit, a comprehensive wellness program designed to help keep cancer patients active and mentally fit from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday at Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, 4950 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge. (225) 938-9629.
Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive, Baton Rouge, will hold the following free events this week:
- Culinary Run: City Cafe will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at City Cafe, 4710 O’Neal Lane, Baton Rouge.
- Road Trip: “The Victory Belles Magical, Musical Christmas” will depart the medical center at 8 a.m. Thursday and return at 5 p.m.
The Victory Belles will fill the Stage Door Canteen at the World War II Museum in New Orleans with music of the season.
Cost is $65 per person and includes transportation and lunch.
Call (225) 755-4984.
Capital Area Court Appointed Special Advocates Association, 848 Louisiana Ave., Baton Rouge, will hold informational sessions for those interested in becoming CASA advocates at noon Tuesday and 12:30 p.m. Dec. 17.
The agency helps neglected and abused children in the foster care system find a safe and permanent home.
Call (225) 379-8598.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other agencies, will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., Baton Rouge.
The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273.
St. Elizabeth Hospital will host a Christmas Open House and Hospital Tour at 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tuesday at the hospital, 1125 W. La. 30, Gonzales. (225) 647-5068.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., Baton Rouge, will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A new grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Resthaven Swan Room, 11817 Jefferson Highway.
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway) in Denham Springs.
- The agency is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
The Diabetes Education And Awareness Group of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, 5000 Hennessy Blvd., Baton Rouge, will hold a Christmas celebration at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the first floor auditorium. (225) 765-8020.
Lane Regional Medical Center, 6300 Main St., Zachary, will hold the following events this week:
- A diabetes support group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the regional medical center. (225) 658-4583.
- Masquerade $5 Jewelry and Accessories Sale from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday in the staff development classroom on the first floor of the hospital. (225) 658-4309.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave.
For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
Peoples Health will hold an Acrylic Paint on Glass class at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at BREC Sharp Road Park, 501 Sharp Road, Baton Rouge. Registration time is 9:30 a.m. and noon. The deadline to reserve is Monday. 1-866-220-0418.
A Sickle Cell Support Group Meeting will be held at noon Wednesday at Baton Rouge Sickle Cell Office, 2301 North Blvd.
The St. Joseph Hospice will hold it Bereavement Support Group Meeting from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday at Jefferson United Methodist Church, 10328 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge. (225) 368-3117.
The C.G. Jung Society of Baton Rouge will hold its Fall Program Thursday Gathering from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday at Diane and Tony Marabella’s home, 16654 S. Fulwar Skipwith Road. (225) 754-1068.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, Baton Rouge, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday.
Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening.
Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
Hospice Associates, 11745 Bricksome Ave., Suite A-1, Baton Rouge, is seeking direct-care volunteers for patient/caregiver support and companionship.
Veteran volunteers are also needed for the We Honor Veterans Program to share their life journey with veteran patients and their families.
For details, call (225) 218-1300.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees.
Meetings are confidential. Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.
Hospice Compassus of Baton Rouge, 870 Jefferson Highway, Suite B, Baton Rouge, is seeking volunteers to visit with patients, assist families, and also for office support. (225) 768-0866.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance. Call (225) 767-4673.